[comp.lang.rexx] Hello? Anyone out there?

khsoh@bruce.OZ (Kam Hung Soh) (08/04/89)

Hey, a Rexx group!  Surprises still happen in the staid world of
programming.  I've gotten interested in Rexx because my favorite
text editor - DME - has got a Rexx interface.  Don't know anything
about the language except that it is used for inter-application
communication.  Sounds interesting.  Am I right?  Anyone willing
to write an introduction.

khsoh@bruce.cs.monash.oz

orlando@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu (Orlando Sprockel) (08/05/89)

 I have done some programming in REXX, and it is just as your shell
 language. Within a REXX program, you can control all the enviroments;
 for an IBM VM/CMS machine you can controll the CP, CMS, and XEDIT.
 With this must power in the language and it's ease to use, no wonder
 IBM has kept it arround, and planning to have a version running on
 their MVS machines also. It is a fun language and easy to write
 quick and powerfull utility programs.

 Orlando

billc@wupulm.wustl.EDU (Bill Canning) (08/07/89)

I remember when I was in college (about 4 years ago) there was a multi-
player game of exploration and treasure gathering that was written in
REXX that ran on an unattended VM account.  The players would SEND messages
to the Virtual Machine running the game, which contained commands about
what direction to go or where to look, etc.  The VM would get those messages
and figure out what the player wanted to do, then would send back the output
to the player, something like this:

FROM UMCVMB(GAME):      +-+-+
FROM UMCVMB(GAME):      |   |
FROM UMCVMB(GAME):      + @ |
FROM UMCVMB(GAME):      |   |
FROM UMCVMB(GAME):      +- -+

The '+'s were doors, etc.  Basically you just tried to find the items that
existed in the maze, and get out alive.  Often another adventurer would have
some of the things you would need, so you would have to kill that person.

Does anyone out there happen to have the code to such a game?  I know there
were several copies out there.

If you have any information on how I could get the code, could you please mail
me?  I'd really be interested in seeing the actual code, since I was trying to
write something like this on a different system.

Thanks in advance,
--
Bill Canning
billc%wupulm@wupost.wustl.EDU

ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) (08/07/89)

Hi. Anyone know when the mvs version of rexx will be out?
--
        Nick Donaldson
Internet: Ndonald@Ccu.UManitoba.CA or Ccm.UManitoba.CA

rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) (08/10/89)

Rexx?  It's pretty fun.  Really makes the amiga great.
I'll be posting some scripts as soon as I find my UUencode.

I'm writing a wild bbs program [to be released shareware] that just dusts
everything.  I've written AreaCode programs and a B-Tree system (simple).
In addition to customizing the system to such an extent that upon boot up,
I have the REXX program through interfacing with the RexxArpLib and Arp1.3
to open a pretty little window, with lots of pretty little gadgets that
let me do whatever I like.

Rexx has raised my development enviornment to one of the gods.
It automaticaly handles backups, it dates them, and I can recall them with
this type of syntax: r{bbs.rexx-last week.list} will list all my changes
that I did last week, and the menu (being somewhat partly produced by my
'bbs' system's menu system) lets me perform diff's and searches on the
data.  All the old data is Zooed away on my backup disk.

Rexx has all the feel of a good structured language, and plenty of power,
it lets you do complicated things easily, and is just generaly special.
Slow though.  It ain't no speed demon.

That's my capsule review.  Buy the thing.  It's lots of fun.

paulm@lotus.UUCP (Paul Morganthall) (08/12/89)

In article <273@ccu.UManitoba.CA> ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
>Hi. Anyone know when the mvs version of rexx will be out?
>--
>        Nick Donaldson
>Internet: Ndonald@Ccu.UManitoba.CA or Ccm.UManitoba.CA
>BITNET:   Ndonald@UOfMCC
>If I know then, what I knew now, it wouldn't make any difference.

My version numbers may not be perfect, but I think REXX is a standard part
TSO/E version 2.1.1 (which we run under MVS/ESA) but not part of TSO/E
1.4.  I don't know if ESA is important in this equation -- I once remember
hearing that REXX would run fine on MVS/XA with TSO/E 2.1 also.  Hope this
helps!

---paul

david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) (08/17/89)

In article <222@lotus.UUCP> paulm@lotus.UUCP (Paul Morganthall) writes:
}In article <273@ccu.UManitoba.CA> ndonald@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Nick Donaldson) writes:
}>Hi. Anyone know when the mvs version of rexx will be out?

}My version numbers may not be perfect, but I think REXX is a standard part
}TSO/E version 2.1.1 (which we run under MVS/ESA) but not part of TSO/E
}1.4.  I don't know if ESA is important in this equation -- I once remember
}hearing that REXX would run fine on MVS/XA with TSO/E 2.1 also.

Yes; REXX is a standard part of TSO/E V2 (under MVS/XA).

Fair warning:  there exists a certain amount of function that is missing
from the initial distribution, and is alleged to be supplied via an APAR
(the number of which I don't have available at the moment).

david
--
David H. Wolfskill
uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!david	InterNet: david@dhw68k.cts.com