[comp.lang.rexx] control characters

SPB109@PSUVM.BITNET (11/10/89)

Hi. How do you print out controll characters in rexx? C allows you
to use the '\' character. Pascal uses CHR(). What does rexx use?
I've tried backslashes in SAY'' but to no avail. The reason I'm asking
is of purely diabolical interest: If it is possible to print out a backspace
 then when you send a message to a user, you can back up to you're user id
and overwrite it. (pretty neat, huh?) Any Ideas or Suggestions would
absolutely stun me. (Who reads this stuff, much less responds?)
oh, well.                         -They call me SpAcE caSe.
                                   (for reasons somewhat evident)

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (11/10/89)

[woof!]

     To output control characters with SAY, use the hexadecimal form.
E.g,

 SAY "Hello, World." '0D'x

will print Hello, World and a blank line.  There you go!

                                    --dds

Dale D. Snell      dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM      74756.666@compuserve.COM

bobn@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Bob Nieman) (11/14/89)

In article <89313.160443SPB109@PSUVM.BITNET>, SPB109@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Hi. How do you print out controll characters in rexx? C allows you
> to use the '\' character. Pascal uses CHR(). What does rexx use?
> I've tried backslashes in SAY'' but to no avail. The reason I'm asking
> is of purely diabolical interest: If it is possible to print out a backspace
>  then when you send a message to a user, you can back up to you're user id
> and overwrite it. (pretty neat, huh?) Any Ideas or Suggestions would
> absolutely stun me. (Who reads this stuff, much less responds?)
> oh, well.                         -They call me SpAcE caSe.
>                                    (for reasons somewhat evident)

You might want to try using the say instruction with the HEX value of
the control character you want to output.  This seems to work for the
newline character X'15'.    Give it a try with a backspace character.

		/* Sample exec */
		nl = '15'x
		say 'First Line' nl nl nl'Next Line'
--
| Bob Nieman  (bobn@brspyr1)            UUCP: ihnp4!dartvax!brspyr1!bobn |
|                                       Phone: (518) 783-1161            |