[comp.lang.rexx] Cross posting from Unix-REXX discussion list

ets@wrkgrp.uucp (Edward T Spire) (10/11/90)

Here's a cross posting from comp.lang.rexx that I thought this group
might like to respond to.  I've already responded privately, and I've
seen one other public response go by.  I'll cross post any summary
posting that the original author posts after the discussion on that
list dies down.

Reply to the original author, if you like.

Ed Spire                           email: ets@wrkgrp.com      (on uunet)
The Workstation Group              voice: 800-228-0255
6300 River Road, Suite 700            or  708-696-4800
Rosemont, Illinois  60018            fax: 708-696-2277

===== original message fragment from comp.lang.rexx ======================

From uunet!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!usc!isi.edu!gremlin!charming!jpl Fri Sep 14 11:24:47 CDT 1990
Article 92 of comp.lang.rexx:
Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx
Subject: Re: need a REXX-flavored version of getopt()
Date: 14 Sep 90 02:19:28 GMT
Sender: news@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com

Now here's a question (reply directly and i might post summary)
for all those folks looking for REXX interpreter/compiler for Unix.
Why?   When you could use Bourne shell, or csh, or ksh, or tcsh (or *sh)
(and all the Unix commands expr, awk, sed), why use REXX?
I can't imagine any hefty REXX applications being ported without modification
to a different environment (say CMS to Unix), and trivial applications
could easily be re-written.  REXX without extensions would make a
lousy Unix command interpretter (no pipes or i/o redirection or job
control or ...) and if the REXX application isn't a command script,
but more a string processing application, why not use awk?

Jeff Lankford           Northrop Research and Technology Center
213/544-5394            One Research Park, Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA 90274

Newsgroups: Comp.lang.rexx
Subject: Cross-postings from Unix-REXX discussion list.

Here's a couple of items that follow the recently posted summary by
J. Lankford regarding REXX in the Unix environment.

Date:         Tue, 9 Oct 90 10:09:12 EDT
From: Tom True <uunet!pucc.bitnet!TDTRUE>
Subject:      Why REXX in Unix?

REPLY TO 10/08/90 10:02 FROM ets@WRKGRP.UUCP "Ed Spire, The Workstation Group":
Cross posting from Comp.lang.rexx re: Why REXX in Unix??

Here's another point for the discussion of why one would want
REXX under Unix: REXX handles arbitrary data, regardless of its
content.  Although I'm not a Unix expert (I've been programming
under it for the past 18 months), I don't believe this is true of
most of the common, interpreted languages available under Unix.
For instance, we had to process datafiles that used binary data
in the header to describe the location of various fields.  It
looked rather straightforward to do in REXX;  when we gave it to
our Unix guru however, he wrote a C program to process the data
and then further massaged it with awk.

Tom True
Princeton University
TDTRUE@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU
(609) 258-6064

P.s. Actually the sensitivity of many Unix tools to the kind of byte being
processed is one of the more annoying features of Unix . . . .

Date:         Tue, 9 Oct 90 11:30:28 PDT
From: My Watch Has Windows Mike Meyer <uunet!decwrl.dec.com!mwm>
Subject:      Re: Why REXX in Unix?

>> For instance, we had to process datafiles that used binary data
>> in the header to describe the location of various fields.  It
>> looked rather straightforward to do in REXX;  when we gave it to
>> our Unix guru however, he wrote a C program to process the data
>> and then further massaged it with awk.

This is SOP on Unix. If something is binary and you want to manipulate
it, you write a short C program to dump the data as ascii text, one
record per line, with appropriate field separators. You then use the
standard tools to manipulate that data.

Whether this is easier than doing everything in Rexx is pretty much a
wash. The C program will be slightly harder than doing the equivalent
in Rexx, but both are a matter of getting fields and conversions
right.  After that, processing with the Unix tools is slightly easier
than with Rexx, mostly because iteration over the records is
automatic, and the string parsing facilities of the Unix tools are
more powerful.

One of the things I've taken to doing when investigating a new
language is to do some of the exercises in Bentley's "Programming
Pearl's" books (a profiler is SOP). For the most part, Rexx makes
doing things simple and straightforward. However, the resulting code
is invariable longer than Unix tools code to do the same, for those
same reasons.

	<mike