[comp.lang.rexx] RexxArpLib

patrick_meloy@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (06/04/91)

I've been playing with the (amiga) rexxarplib (v2.5) and am having trouble with
refreshgadgets(). According to the docs I have (up to 2.3) the calling
sequence is simply 'call RefreshGadgets(controlport)'. this would imply that
calling the function will refresh ALL gadgets associated with the named
controlport (fine by me :). Unfortunately nothing happens...

What I'm trying to do is update the contents of string gadgets (I'm writing a
user editor for our BBS you see). I change the contents of the strings used
in the gadgets, then call RefreshGadgets().

Perhaps someone out there in netland can assist me with this?.

+------------------------------------+
| patrick_meloy@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca |
|     Ice Cave BBS, Vancouver,BC     |
+------------------------------------+

Scott_Velez@mindlink.bc.ca (Scott Velez) (06/05/91)

> patrick_meloy@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
>
> I've been playing with the (amiga) rexxarplib (v2.5) and am having trouble
> with
> refreshgadgets(). According to the docs I have (up to 2.3) the calling
> sequence is simply 'call RefreshGadgets(controlport)'. this would imply that
> calling the function will refresh ALL gadgets associated with the named
> controlport (fine by me :). Unfortunately nothing happens...
>
> What I'm trying to do is update the contents of string gadgets (I'm writing a
> user editor for our BBS you see). I change the contents of the strings used
> in the gadgets, then call RefreshGadgets().
>
> Perhaps someone out there in netland can assist me with this?.

I think you have to RemoveGadget(), change your string, and then AddGadget() it
back. At least this is what I did with my function key editor for VLT
(VLTFKEYS).

 Scott
Michael Scott Velez               "Give me a burger, fries and
BIX: mvelez                        some desert."
Scott_Velez@mindlink.bc.ca         "Give me money."

patrick_meloy@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (06/08/91)

>I think you have to RemoveGadget(), change your string, and then AddGadget()
>it
>back. At least this is what I did with my function key editor for VLT
>(VLTFKEYS).
>
> Scott

Yes, I have been doing that as well but it did seem somewhat kludgy..

On the other hand, I've just discovered a library called 'rxgen' that allows
you to use (almost) all the standard amiga libraries within rexx. This even
allows using the new 2.0 libraries and comes with examples that imnclude
setting up one of the new 'appmenus' from 2.0. Only problem is that using the
libraries is not any simpler than using them from C (with the exception that
of no actual pointers).

Only problem (if it can be called that) is that you need to know the offsets
of each function, and what cast to use on the calling arguments. Any 1.3
libraries are easy because it comes with a rexx macro that converts 1.3 'FD'
files into lists of offsets to be used. (Too bad we don't have 2.0 'FD'
files, guess I'll have to go bug some REAL programmers :)

Anyone wanting to do fancy intuition stuff with rexx (including
gadtool1/boopsie) should have a peek at this!

+------------------------------------+

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (06/11/91)

> On the other hand, I've just discovered a library called 'rxgen' that allows
> you to use (almost) all the standard amiga libraries within rexx. This even
> allows using the new 2.0 libraries and comes with examples that imnclude
> setting up one of the new 'appmenus' from 2.0. Only problem is that using the
> libraries is not any simpler than using them from C (with the exception that
> of no actual pointers).

RexxArpLib is now up to 3.0, and supports many 2.0 specific features, including
using the ASL file requestor instead of the ARP file requestor.

The new version of the library is on ab20.larc.nasa.gov and via mailserver at
MRCserv@Janus.MtRoyal.AB.CA

--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430