[comp.lang.rexx] ARexxLib is almost here...

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (06/18/91)

At the last REXX Symposium I volunteered to coordinate the collection of
ARexx-related scripts and programs and set up an FTP site for people to
access these files.  Well, I've got the disk space now and I've set up
the FTP server... there are a few technicalities I have to figure out
before I actually release the name of the FTP site (it's not the machine
I'm writing this from!) but right now my main problem is that I don't
have enough ARexx material!  So please, mail me your useful scripts,
point me to useful programs (got RexxArpLib already, obviously), etc.
I will be combing BIX as well, looking for stuff.

ARexxLib is not quite REXXLIB, which is a similar archive being run out
of Penn State.  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to mirror REXXLIB or
not, it really depends on how much space all that would take.  For now
I'll limit myself to ARexx-specific (with room for general REXX) stuff.

Note that there will be time limits imposed on the FTP access, probably
from 6 pm to 8 am EST only.  The machine I'm using is needed for other
(other==real) work.  No plans for an "incoming" directory at this time,
the last thing I need is someone filling up the disk on me....

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Unlike the cleaning lady, I have to do Windows.

todd@pvi.UUCP (Todd Bradley x293) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.145334.12569@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) writes:

>ARexxLib is not quite REXXLIB, which is a similar archive being run out
>of Penn State.  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to mirror REXXLIB or
>not, it really depends on how much space all that would take.  For now
>I'll limit myself to ARexx-specific (with room for general REXX) stuff.

Could somebody let a newcomer to REXX know more about this Penn State
REXX archive?  I assume it's anonymous ftp.  What's the address?

Todd.
--
Todd Bradley (extension AXE)         Disclaimers are for wimps who have
Supreme Ruler of The Galaxy          some sort of job security.

CJS@psuvm.psu.edu (06/19/91)

In article <797@pvi.UUCP>, todd@pvi.UUCP (Todd Bradley x293) says:

>Could somebody let a newcomer to REXX know more about this Penn State
>REXX archive?  I assume it's anonymous ftp.  What's the address?

REXXLIB is a LISTSERV list for REXX source code and utilities.  It is
just getting started, and has mostly packages that have long been on the
PSUTOOLS list (and thus is currently dominated by CMS stuff).

Information (REXXLIB FILELIST) follows:

*
* REXXLIB FILELIST for LISTSERV@PSUVM
*
*
*  REXXLIB is a collection of programs written in REXX or designed
*  to be called by REXX.  The programs are in separate packages; each
*  package is described briefly in this file.
*
*  Submissions to REXXLIB should be sent to REXXLIB@psuvm.bitnet or
*  REXXLIB@psuvm.psu.edu.  Programs placed on REXXLIB must conform to
*  to certain rules.  They are:
*
*  CONTRIBUTIONS:
*
*  We solicit Rexx programs of all types (VM, MVS, DOS, OS/2,
*  Windows (soon), Amiga, Unix, etc).  All CONTRIBUTIONS should be
*  addressed to:
*
*    REXXLIB@PSUVM (bitnet)
*      or
*    REXXLIB@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (internet)
*
*  Files will be checked to ensure they adhere to "the rules" before
*  being made available on the LISTSERV.
*
*  THE RULES
*
*  1.  Source code only -- no binary files permitted
*  2.  All code is freeware (no cost whatsoever to use it)
*  3.  Documentation MUST be included, either as a separate file or
*      as comments withing the program(s).
*  4.  Documentation must be thorough.  It should include:
*      a. Name and purpose
*      b. Author's name and e-mail address (phone is optional)
*      c. Platforms on which tested
*      d. All dependencies (what else is needed to run the program)
*  5.  The code must be readable.  If we can't figure out what the code
*      does (between the flow and the excellent documentation that I
*      know everyone will provide), then it will not be posted.
*  6.  Code may be incorporated into commercial products (since there
*      will be no copyrights).  The intention is to provide code useful
*      to others so that we can all save some time and learn some nifty
*      techniques.  The purpose is NOT to provide an avenue for anyone
*      to turn a profit.
*  7.  Anything else I meant to put here, but forgot.
*
*  NOTE:  Code does NOT have to be written in REXX, but if not, it must
*         be REXX-relevant.  For example, a REXX function package
*         written in 'C' or Assembler would be okay as long as
*         complete instructions for compiling are included.
*
*
*
*  Please address any comments, suggestions, or bug reports to
*  REXXLIST@ohstvma.bitnet.
*
*  Requests for files or programs can be sent by message (e.g. TELL
*  LISTSERV AT PSUVM GET ...) or by mail, with one command or request
*  per line in the body of the mail file.
*
*  To get the files in a particular package:
*
*      GET <package-name> PACKAGE
*
*  To get a list of files in a particular package:
*
*      GET <package-name> $PACKAGE
*
*  To subscribe to File Update Information notices, so that you receive
*  notification when the files change:
*
*      FUI ADD <package-name> PACKAGE
*
*  To get a copy of this file:
*
*      INDEX REXXLIB
*
*  To join the LISTSERV discussion list which discusses the REXX
*  library and other REXX issues:
*
*      SUBSCRIBE REXXLIST
*
*
*  PACKAGES IN REXXLIB:
*
*    GRAB PACKAGE: a collection of programs that let you search for
*       all occurrences of a string on a disk.  Written for CMS,
*       using XEDIT to do its processing.
*
*    PFTOOL PACKAGE: a collection of screen management tools to be
*       assigned to PFkeys in XEDIT.  Includes utilities to duplicate
*       a line; add or delete a line; move the cursor forward or
*       backward one word or line; scroll the screen up, down, left
*       or right a full or half page; split the screen; and more.
*
*    PREFIX PACKAGE: a collection of XEDIT prefix commands.  Included
*       are commands to sort text, recover deleted lines, align and/or
*       right-justify text within boundaries, PUT and GET text between
*       files, and change text to upper or lower case.
*
*    RXASM PACKAGE: MODULEs and help files for tools and utilities
*       written in Assembler and callable by REXX programs.  In cases
*       where another package includes a MODULE, the help file(s) and
*       a copy of the MODULE for it can be found here.
*
*    RXASMSRC PACKAGE: Assembler source code for tools and utilities
*       written in Assembler and callable by REXX programs.  In cases
*       where another package includes a MODULE, the source code can
*       be found here.
*
*    RXEDIT PACKAGE: a collection of tools and utilities to assist in
*       the development of REXX programs.
*
*    RXHELP PACKAGE: Help TASK menu and associated HELP files to
*       describe REXX environment at PSU.
*
*    RXRX PACKAGE: a collection of tools and utilities written in
*       REXX and callable by other REXX programs.
*
*    TOOLSLIB PACKAGE: REXX subroutine and code segment library.  Menu
*       interface allows you to retrieve general purpose subroutines from
*       a MACLIB.  You can also add your own REXX subroutines to the
*       library.
*
*    WORDPROC PACKAGE: a collection of word processing tools for use
*       in XEDIT.  Included are tools to align, justify, and center
*       text, move blocks of data, and manipulate columns of text.
*
*
*  Please post questions about how to use the tools to the REXXTOOLS
*  discussion list.
*
*  Please report errors, problems, or suggestions to the REXXTOOLS
*  list or to the author.
*

(list of files deleted, not real informative as to contents)