[news.software.nntp] diskspace margin in nntpserver?

sater@cs.vu.nl (Hans van Staveren) (08/25/88)

It would seem that having a disk space margin after which the nntpserver
would not accept new articles would be a nice feature to have.
It is not in the nntp version I have(1.5 it seems).

Has anybody hacked that in yet, or is it a bad idea?

				Hans van Staveren
				Vrije Universiteit
				Amsterdam, Holland

victor@kuling.UUCP (Bjorn Victor) (08/26/88)

In article <1311@sater.cs.vu.nl> sater@cs.vu.nl (Hans van Staveren) writes:
>It would seem that having a disk space margin after which the nntpserver
>would not accept new articles would be a nice feature to have.
>It is not in the nntp version I have(1.5 it seems).
>
>Has anybody hacked that in yet, or is it a bad idea?

Well, I did a small hack to make our NNTP server (v1.5) look at both
disk space and free inodes before accepting articles from IHAVE.  It
seems to work well, even though it could be optimized better.  Also,
maybe the check appear in more places than IHAVE.

The code is based on the df code, so I'm not sure what rules there are
for distributing it, but as long as you have the standard set of
source licenses I guess it's OK.  Does anybody know the rules?
Or does anybody feel like reimplementing it without using df code?
--
--Bjorn Victor		       victor@kuling.UU.SE
Dept. of Computer Systems       or

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (09/03/88)

I did this on my nntp server code. My nntp server happens to be System V so
I can use the ustat call to get the disk space info. This is distributable.

I have passed this suggestion to the folks at Berkeley who agree that it's
a good idea.

STAN

Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Baylor College of Medicine
Olan           uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine.