[news.software.nntp] Need

jepeway@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Chris Jepeway) (11/11/88)

We're getting 0 length articles when our news partition (which cannot
be increased in size) fills.  I've heard that there are patches to the
nntp software to refuse articles for which there's no disk space.
Can anyone point me to them?  Or disabuse me of the myth that such
software exists?

Thanks Ever,
Chris Jepeway
UTK CS Dept

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (11/20/88)

In article <636@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu> jepeway@alphard.cs.utk.edu (Chris Jepeway) writes:
>We're getting 0 length articles when our news partition (which cannot
>be increased in size) fills.  I've heard that there are patches to the
>nntp software to refuse articles for which there's no disk space.
>Can anyone point me to them?  Or disabuse me of the myth that such
>software exists?
>
>Thanks Ever,
>Chris Jepeway
>UTK CS Dept

There are three official patches to nntp 1.5 that are available. All are
available via anonymous ftp from bcm.tmc.edu [128.249.2.1] or from
the archive-server.

For info on the archive-server, send mail to "archive-server@bcm.tmc.edu"
with a Subject: line of "help".

Here are what the three patches do:

Patch #1

Problems:
         1. strcascmp.c will not compile on System V if there is no
            typedef for an unsigned char. This is a common problem with
            many versions of System V.
         2. main.c will not compile under EXCELAN because a structure is
            used before it is defined.
         3. SIGCLD in System V is NOT the same as SIGCHLD under BSD.
         4. actbuf must be explicitly defined under System V or free(actbuf)
            will core dump.
         5. System V compilers do not tolerate including the same include
            file more than once.

Patch #2

	1. Arguements are reversed in one line in ahbs.c
	2. Patch #1 contained a typo in patch to strcasecmp.c
	3. nntp_awk script fails on entries created by nntpxmit under
	System V.

Patch #3

        1. Under the history mechanism that does not use DBM, files are not
           closed following use. This causes the process to run of file
           descriptors & nntpd to abort. The nntp log file will show this with
           "No more files" messages.
        2. There was no graceful way for any version of nntp to stop a transfer
           when there was no space left in the news SPOOLDIR. This can cause
           many aborted connections and sometimes lost news

Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Baylor College of Medicine
Olan           uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine.