[news.software.nntp] Does NNTP NEWS support Reply and Forward now?

sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu (02/09/89)

I have been using NNTP NEWS to access USENET newsgroups. What I don't like
is its lack of ability to reply to the author and to forward an article. I
don't know what is the newest version of NNTP NEWS and whehter these
functions have been added. Where can I get the new version? Thank you.

--- Kang Sun
sun@yalevms.bitnet
sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (02/17/89)

Reply and Forward are mail functions, not news, and therefore are
handled with SMTP, not NNTP.  If you can't do it, then you've got a
mail problem, not a news problem.  It sounds like your news reader
agent (which you didn't mention) doesn't work right with your mail
system for delivery of private mail Replies and Forwards.

The current version of the NNTP software itself is 1.5.  I don't know
about any versions of your news front-end software, because you didn't
mention what you're using.

sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (02/20/89)

In article <50112@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes:
>I have been using NNTP NEWS to access USENET newsgroups. What I don't like
>is its lack of ability to reply to the author and to forward an article. I
>don't know what is the newest version of NNTP NEWS and whehter these
>functions have been added. Where can I get the new version? Thank you.
>
>--- Kang Sun
>sun@yalevms.bitnet
>sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu

The latest version of NNTP is 1.5.3 (1.5 is available from ucbarpa.berkeley.edu
and the patches are available from bcm.tmc.edu. There are three patches thus
far.)

NNTP itself does not support or supress support of the "Reply" function.
The "forward" function you refer to needs a bit more explaination.

Typically, the "reply" function is supported by the news reader you use.
Remote RN (rrn) supports this. I believe that postnews/vnews/readnews
does, too.

Which news reader do you use?

Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Baylor College of Medicine
Olan           uucp: {rice,killer,hoptoad}!academ!sob
Barber         Opinions expressed are only mine.

per@erix.ericsson.se (Per Hedeland) (02/22/89)

In article <1422@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@watson.UUCP (Stan Barber) writes:
>In article <50112@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> sun@venus.ycc.yale.edu writes:
>>I have been using NNTP NEWS to access USENET newsgroups. What I don't like
>>is its lack of ability to reply to the author and to forward an article.

>Typically, the "reply" function is supported by the news reader you use.
>Remote RN (rrn) supports this. I believe that postnews/vnews/readnews
>does, too.
>
>Which news reader do you use?

If I'm not entirely mistaken, the confusion here has it's root in a simple
nntp-based news reader for VMS posted to comp.os.vms a while back. It did
indeed lack reply and forward (whatever that is) capabilities, and was called
- that's right - 'NEWS'. I don't have access to the source right now, but can
dig it out if there is interest. Anyway, I seem to remember that the author's
description implied that he didn't intend to support it in any "official"
manner, i.e. I doubt that there are updated versions available.

The reason I know this is (of course) that when the local VMSites installed it,
I got similar questions about why "NNTP" did this or that... It is still in
daily use here, as far as I know.

Regards
--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se

warner@hydrovax.nmt.edu (M. Warner Losh) (02/23/89)

In article <1947@erix.ericsson.se>, per@erix.ericsson.se (Per Hedeland) writes...
>If I'm not entirely mistaken, the confusion here has it's root in a simple
>nntp-based news reader for VMS posted to comp.os.vms a while back. It did
>indeed lack reply and forward (whatever that is) capabilities, and was called
>- that's right - 'NEWS'. I don't have access to the source right now, but can
>dig it out if there is interest. Anyway, I seem to remember that the author's
>description implied that he didn't intend to support it in any "official"
>manner, i.e. I doubt that there are updated versions available.

There are others out there who have upgraded and modified the source to
NEWS.  I am one of them who has yet to post his "new and imporved" sources
to the network.  Watch comp.os.vms in the next few weeks for an announcement
about this.

>The reason I know this is (of course) that when the local VMSites installed it,
>I got similar questions about why "NNTP" did this or that... It is still in
>daily use here, as far as I know.

I'm using it to post this reply right now.  :-)
--
Warner Losh
warner@hydrovax.nmt.edu		...!unmvax!nmtsun!warner%hydrovax