[news.software.nntp] Newsgroup descriptions over NNTP?

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (04/08/89)

How about an extension to the NNTP protocol that lets you fetch the
information in the (NEWSLIB)/newsgroups file?  Newsgroup descriptions
are useful, really they are.  Just because newsreaders like "rn" don't
use that information . . .

Some sort of match-pattern list-newsgroups would be nice.  psuvax1's
active/newsgroup files are currently 19k/27k bytes (616 newsgroups).
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!shire!flee

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (04/13/89)

In article <FLEE.89Apr7195131@shire.cs.psu.edu>, flee@shire (Felix Lee) writes:

>How about an extension to the NNTP protocol that lets you fetch the
>information in the (NEWSLIB)/newsgroups file?  Newsgroup descriptions
>are useful, really they are.  Just because newsreaders like "rn" don't
>use that information . . .

Excellent idea. I have proposed to Larry several reasons twhy rn
should use this, especially to prevent people form posting stuff to
the wrong newsgroups, or for those looking for a newsgroup that is
appropriate.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett@steinmetz.ge.com>