[news.software.nntp] nntp speed through loopback

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (07/05/89)

Background:

	I am the news admin. for our LAN. My machine (Sun386i) is also
the machine with the news tree on it's disk, and is the UUCP gateway for
the outside world, and the nntp server for the inside world.

The question:
	In providing rn/rrn and now nn to my LAN for news reading, I
find that I have to compile them with AND without nntp support. If
I, the only user of the machine with the news on its own disk use
nntp, how much actual performance loss will I encounter? I assume
rrn and nn would connect through the loopback instead of actually
going through the ethernet. (correct???)

jim
--
Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
					 domain: jim@eda.com

storm@texas.dk (Kim F. Storm) (07/07/89)

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) writes:

>If I, the only user of the machine with the news on its own disk use
>nntp, how much actual performance loss will I encounter? I assume
>rrn and nn would connect through the loopback instead of actually
>going through the ethernet. (correct???)

I cannot speak for rrn, but nn will see that you are running on
the news server and access the spool directory directly, i.e. not
involving the network or nntp at all.
--
Kim F. Storm        storm@texas.dk        Tel +45 429 174 00
Texas Instruments, Marielundvej 46E, DK-2730 Herlev, Denmark