[news.software.nntp] Unwanted News groups

abrams@cass.amd.bnl.gov (The Ancient Programmer) (09/09/89)

	I am trying to exclude whole groups, i.e. !ba.* !ca.* etc.
but my feeding site still ships me those groups and they fill up my
junk directory. I asked that my feeding site News Administrator put
!ba.*,!ca.*, etc into my sys file entry on his site, and he stated the
following:

|	We're not spooling news for you folks anymore - you're using
|NNTP.  NNTP allows you, via judicious editing of the nntp.oursite.edu
|file to control what groups you take from us.  To stop the flow of
|ca, mit, etc  you have a line that looks like:
|
|	!ca.*,!mit.*,!buf.*, etc etc

Looking at the file /usr/spool/batch/nntp.his_site.edu shows me a list
of articles bound for his site.  Editing that file as suggested causes
NNTP to barf.  Is there another file which will prevent me from asking
for unwanted newsgroups when I execute run.nntpxfer to get news from
his site?

INTERNET:	abrams@bnlux0.bnl.gov
BITNET:		abrams@bnlux0.BITNET
UUCP:		...philabs!sbcs!bnlux0!abrams

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (09/09/89)

In article <1470@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, abrams@cass.amd.bnl.gov wrote:
>Looking at the file /usr/spool/batch/nntp.his_site.edu shows me a list
                                ^^^^^
>of articles bound for his site.  ...  Is there another file which will
>prevent me from asking for unwanted newsgroups when I execute run.nntpxfer
>to get news from his site?

Yes, it's in the news spool directory, usually /usr/spool/news.

It's name is "nntp.REMOTE", where "REMOTE" is the name of the site
you nntpxfer from.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     <skl@wimsey.bc.ca> or {uunet,ubc-cs}!wimsey.bc.ca!skl