[news.software.nntp] Help with mini-inews on HP-UX

gerwitz@hpcore.kodak.com (Paul Gerwitz) (09/23/89)

I have an HP/9000-835 running HP-UX version 3.1 running as an nntp client.

Attached to this posting is the header or a news followup posted via
Pnews and mini-inews (nntp).  Here is what I've done:

 1. I defined GHNAME in common/conf.h  (since HPUX supports it)

 2. This causes the appropriate sections of inews/uname.c to be compiled
 and linked to inews.  When inews is run via Pnews, it gets a segmentation
 violation.

 3. I traced this to the gethostname call in uname.c.  So I eliminated
 uname.c from the cc line in the makefile for inews, thus pulling in the
 default uname(1) code from the systems library.  Since the default return
 for uname(1) is the systems type (HP-UX) that explains my strange 'From'
 and 'Path' lines in the enclosed  header.

 4. I have gotten around this problem by hardcoding the node name into
 inews but I would really like some advice.  Is the gethostcall in uname.c
 correct (both the HP and Sun man pages agree), or should I change the
 uname code to replect the struct that the HP system returns.

After the header file is the 'hunk' of inews/uname.c which is blowing up

Thanks in advance for you assistance

 | Paul F Gerwitz       | SMTP: gerwitz@kodak.com                             |
 | Eastman Kodak Co     | UUCP: ..rutgers!rochester!kodak!eastman!gerwitz     |

>>From eastman!HP-UX!gerwitz Fri Sep 22 14:10:51 EDT 1989
>>Article 30 of to.eastman:
>>>From: gerwitz@HP-UX.kodak.com (Paul Gerwitz)
>>Newsgroups: to.eastman