[news.software.nntp] NNTP connections--- always open

warren@samsung.com (Warren Lavallee) (09/29/89)

	I vaguely remember a NNTP discussion a while back about a modified
nntpxmit that would always keep the NNTP connection open.  It would check
the batch directory every few seconds looking for new news, and if found,
send it over.

	How was that left?  Was the consensus it would be a good or bad idea?

	It definately would be good for article propagation times...

					Thanks for the info,
						-- Warren
--
Samsung Software America.       Warren J. Lavallee        Systems Administator.
UUCP:  warreng@ginosko.UUCP               NEARnet/Internet:  warren@samsung.com

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (09/29/89)

warren@samsung.com (Warren Lavallee) writes:
>	I vaguely remember a NNTP discussion a while back about a modified
>nntpxmit that would always keep the NNTP connection open.  It would check
>the batch directory every few seconds looking for new news, and if found,
>send it over.

>	It definately would be good for article propagation times...

Maybe. It's not quite as clear-cut as it appears. I'm running C News and
using the batch-creation mode in nntpd (which does appear to have beneficial
impact on relaynews run time vis-a-vis starting a relaynews for each
article). However, this requires that nntpd kick batches into the feeder
as soon as possible, which in turn requires either a timeout in nntpd or
closing nntpd's ASAP. Another option, perhaps a better one from the
propagation time standpoint, is to write each message into a separate
file, then build one batch out of all of them to hand to relaynews. As
long as nntpd gets news into the system as fast as possible, leaving the
connections open should be a good thing, both for propagation time and
cost.

My configuration is a bit different than the stock C News setup. I've got a
daemon (written in Perl) called newsrund that takes the place of C News'
newsrun. The only significant loss of features is that newsrund doesn't
check space... but I'm willing to tolerate that in exchange for speed,
since our spool drive has a fairly wide safety margin. newsrund informs
an nntpsend-ish daemon whenever new news has been fed through relaynews,
and the nntpsender then ships out the news. This is a big win over the
default for propagation time, and turns out to be a big win on process
invocations as well. It's still not as great as leaving the connections
open would be, though.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1989 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.