[news.software.nntp] "maybe-I-have"

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (10/29/89)

John Coolidge <coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> It's in the NNTP spec, more or less. Just use NNTP response code 436
> (transfer failed - try again later).

Except that when "nntpxmit" gets a "436" it aborts the rest of the
transfer.  "436" is used by "nntpd" when "rnews" fails, and when that
happens, it's often pointless to keep sending things to have "rnews"
fail again.

Some distinction should be made between this-article failure and
news-system failure.
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!flee

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (10/29/89)

Addendum, the behavior I described, "nntpxmit" aborting transmission
when it gets a 436 XFERFAIL response, looks like it appeared with
NNTP 1.5.4 (May 1989), along with the diskspace code in "nntpd", since
436 is also used for out-of-diskspace.
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!flee

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (10/30/89)

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) writes:
>John Coolidge <coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>> It's in the NNTP spec, more or less. Just use NNTP response code 436
>> (transfer failed - try again later).

>Except that when "nntpxmit" gets a "436" it aborts the rest of the
>transfer.  "436" is used by "nntpd" when "rnews" fails, and when that
>happens, it's often pointless to keep sending things to have "rnews"
>fail again.

ACK! Well, I _said_ I wasn't sure that current software handled it
correctly! :-)

>Some distinction should be made between this-article failure and
>news-system failure.

You're right, of course. We seem to need a new response code for NNTP
to handle this, since the existing one has been used to deal with a
different class of errors.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1989 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (10/30/89)

The 436 response code is intended to signify a failure to post the
instant article.  It does NOT imply complete news system failure; a 5xx
code should be used for that.  If you have a temporary failure (such as
running out of disk space) and someone attempts to send you an article,
you can 436 it (assuming that he'll send it again later) and then
continue, or if you're going to give up, 400 it and close the
connection.

I thought the current version of nntpxmit requeued articles that were
4xx'd.  Maybe I read the code wrong.
	- Brian