[news.software.nntp] nntplink/nntpd weirdness

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (12/20/89)

We are seeing several dozen "broken pipes" on jarvis.csri.toronto.edu (running
nntpd 1.5.7 with C news batching, SunOS 3.5 on a 3/180).  Two machines in
particular seem to be causing those: a microVax on some other network and a
Sun 3/280 running 4.0.3, on the local ethernet.  Their news admin has been able
to track down the problem to their nntplink being returned a rather weird
error message from our nntpd, namely the entry for the "news" user in the
passwd file, but without proper termination.

This sounds vaguely familiar.  Has anyone tracked this down to some
misbehaviour in either nntplink or nntpd?  We are also seeing such broken
pipes reported by a B news site, even though nothing seems to be
wrong on the feeding machine (yet another machine on the campus lan).

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4