[news.software.nntp] Help in setting up nntp for Cnews

syd@dsinc.DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (02/09/90)

I have my NNTP daemon working fine, in that I can read news
via it.  Soon I will try out receiving news, however, I am
confused about sending news.

Cnews makes up to.go files in its out.going directory, which are
send by the batcher.

Do I write my own cron script that mv's this file to a .work name
and then invokes nntpxmit, or do I put entires in the batchparms file.

Any help?
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or {bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

lamy@cs.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (02/09/90)

syd@dsinc.DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) writes:

>Cnews makes up to.go files in its out.going directory, which are
>send by the batcher.

You can just as well use the last field in the sys file to tell C news to
write the batch where nntpsend looks for them.  See man news(5), and
relaynews(1).  This is the simplest solution.

Alternately, you can change the invocation of nntpxmit in the nntpsend script
to look for files in $sitename/togo (assuming you gave
/usr/spool/news/out.going as the batch directory when compiling nntp).  But
then you have to be careful that you don't have a default line in your
batchparms file because the batcher would pounce on your nntp batches.  Of
course, not running the batcher is a safe way to avoid the problem for
nntp-only sites.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@cs.utoronto.ca, uunet!cs.utoronto.ca!lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4