[news.software.nntp] Wierd problem with logging of statistics

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (04/10/90)

In an article a while back, I wrote

And then in article <425@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> sob@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) writes:
>I can't find a reason why this does not work as expected. Defining LOG, SYSLOG,
>& FAKESYSLOG should log it to a FAKESYSLOG-named file.

It will work, as long as you #define LOG after the #ifdef SYSLOG -- #endif
because if you #define it before, LOG winds up being #undef'd.

I've verified this more than once.  Everything works fine if LOG winds being
#defined somehow.  It just seems that the #undef LOG should be #define LOG
(at least that's what the comments seem to be saying).  Or perhaps it should be

#ifndef SYSLOG
#undef   LOG
#endif

Even the comment says "you can only have LOG if you have SYSLOG."
--
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu

sob@wilkins.bcm.tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (04/10/90)

Well, you just can satisfy all the people all the time....

If LOG is undefined, you get some level of logging, not just everything.
I had received many
requests to leave it undefined the distribution. 1.5.9 will have it
turned back on.

By the way, it is true that you only get LOG if SYSLOG is defined AND
LOG is defined, too.