[news.software.nntp] what's the log summarizer of choice these days.

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (05/30/90)

C news, nntplink, a few feeds.

what are people using to summarize their nntplink logs with?  ideally
it would be in perl, it would be brief, and it would be easy to understand.

thanks.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>

mathisen@dali (Jaye Mathisen) (05/30/90)

In article <EMV.90May29175644@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>C news, nntplink, a few feeds.
>
>what are people using to summarize their nntplink logs with?  ideally
>it would be in perl, it would be brief, and it would be easy to understand.

David Lawrence (tale@cs.rpi.edu)  has a nifty-keeno log summarizer that
works well.

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (05/30/90)

 I ask:
    >what are people using to summarize their nntplink logs with?  ideally
    >it would be in perl, it would be brief, and it would be easy to understand.

    David Lawrence (tale@cs.rpi.edu)  has a nifty-keeno log summarizer that
    works well.

 found it!  ftp'able from rpi.edu.  but it's not in perl, it's in awk --
 the original credits go to Erik Fair.

 it's relatively amenable to being run through a2p -- you need to fix
 the split(///) to be split(/\//) and cope with a substr() that doesn't
 work because $[ is set.  otherwise all is OK.  it groks nntplink and
 newsxd too, which the original didn't.

 now I just need to convince nntpd to syslog things right..

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (05/30/90)

[Ed V]
>> now I just need to convince nntpd to syslog things right..

Let me know what it takes -- I've seen nary a syslog'd peep out of nntpd
since I went to 1.5.8.  (Using Ultrix, obviously.)
--
Paul Vixie
DEC Western Research Lab	<vixie@wrl.dec.com>