[news.software.nntp] Help with nntp under Sys V.3

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (06/29/90)

Hello *,

I am trying to bring up nntp in server mode under AT&T Sys V R 3.2.2 on
my AT&T 3B2/600G and have run into some difficuties.  Yes I know the
README.SYSV for version 1.5.8 says they are still working on it.

After working on common/conf.h, I added a #define SYSVR3 and a bunch of
#ifdef SYSVR3 to the source code to properly locate some needed header
files.  This simple fix allowed me to do "make server" and have it complete
with a lot of noise about extra tokens (all that stuff like #endif NDIR).

I added the new process to /etc/services and stopped and restarted the network
installing nntpd.  That's were my success ended.  When an nntp feed site
attempts to connect to my nntp server, the connection close immediately after
the server ready message.  I do have a proper entry in nntp_access for the
feed site.

If there has been any progress with nntp under Sys V.3, I would appreciate
hearing about it.

Please respond by e-mail.  Without a working nntp, I don't have a newsfeed :-(
--
Mike Dobson
Sys Admin for nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (AT&T 3B2/600G running Sys V R 3.2)

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (07/04/90)

From article <1990Jun28.201138.2629@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil>, by rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson):
I wrote that:

> I am trying to bring up nntp in server mode under AT&T Sys V R 3.2.2 on
> my AT&T 3B2/600G and have run into some difficuties.  Yes I know the
> README.SYSV for version 1.5.8 says they are still working on it.

I would now like to report that I think I have it working, or at least partialy
so.  My feed site finally connected and according to the logfile, I accepted
29 articles for posting from a very resticted set of groups with no rejections
or failures. On the down side, for every article offered, the message:
"gethistent: histfile: no such file or directory" was placed in the logfile.

In common/conf.h HISTORY_FILE was defined as "/usr/lib/news/history" which
is where the file is located with global read access.  Is the above behavior
normal when using nntp with cnews?

Once I am sure everything, both client and server, are working, I will send
diffs to Stan Barber for inclusion in a forth coming release.

For those of you who can't wait, mail me a request.  If I get too many, I will
summarize to the net.