[news.software.nntp] I really don't think this is a good idea

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (07/13/90)

NNTP 1.5.9, in spawn.c, tries to open a temporary file in
/usr/spool/news/.tmp. Bad move.

I don't run B news. (Never had it, never will.) I don't have a
/usr/spool/news/.tmp. Assuming the universal availability of it as a
temporary area is a bad idea. As is assuming the use of
/usr/spool/news as the news spool area.

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
bnug, dude
yeah
.

ken@sdd.hp.com (Ken Stone) (07/14/90)

In article <1990Jul13.033611.2849@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
>NNTP 1.5.9, in spawn.c, tries to open a temporary file in
>/usr/spool/news/.tmp. Bad move.
>
>I don't run B news. (Never had it, never will.) I don't have a
>/usr/spool/news/.tmp. Assuming the universal availability of it as a
>temporary area is a bad idea. As is assuming the use of
>/usr/spool/news as the news spool area.

Patch 9 seems to full of little goodies ... I find the following:

    * Hardcoding of /usr/spool/news (really bad idea ... in post.c and spawn.c)
    * Use of /usr/spool/news/.tmp and /usr/spool/news/.bad (not in Cnews)
    * Trashing the environment if SETPROCTITLE is defined.  Really bothers
      Cnews's inews since its a shell script.

  -- Ken

nagel@ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (07/14/90)

ken@sdd.hp.com (Ken Stone) writes:

>    * Trashing the environment if SETPROCTITLE is defined.  Really bothers
>      Cnews's inews since its a shell script.

So _that's_ what happened!  I have a perl script that is my backend inews
and it really blew up when I tried using 1.5.9 (even after slipping in the
1.5.8 spawn.c).  I'll undef that and see if it works then.  Thanks!

--
Mark Nagel
UC Irvine Department of ICS   +----------------------------------------+