[news.software.nntp] NNTP with C News

rja@edison.cho.ge.com (rja) (08/09/90)

I've just recently installed C News here and things are generally working
very well.  I've spent the past two days trying to get NNTP working between
this machine (Ultrix 3.1 VAX, sort of like 4.2 BSD) and a VMS machine running
ANU News 5.9c, Wollongong TCP/IP, and VMS 5.

The networking part seems fine either over TCP/IP or DECnet.  I can read
articles on Edison from the VMS side using the "nntp_client" program supplied
with ANU News, as long as I just read a group consecutively and don't try
to use the ARTICLE command to retrieve by message-id.  If I try to use
article to retrieve by message-id, I always get a "article doesn't exist"
kind of message back even though the article id is in the history file
on Edison and the article is physically present in the location indicated
by the history file and is world readable.

I've glanced at the code and my suspcions lie in the dbm code which looks in
the history file for the article id because Ultrix 3 is different (read broken)
in several other ways from normal 4.2 BSD.  I'm pretty sure I've gotten the
defines correct in common/conf.h but am certainly willing to entertain any
ideas.

If anyone has done or tried to do this sort of thing, please drop me a note
or post here.

Internet  (vastly preferable) :         rja@edison.CHO.GE.COM
UUCP (if you've got no choice):         ...uunet!virginia!edison!rja

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug8.193355.26981@edison.cho.ge.com> rja <rja@edison.cho.ge.com> writes:
>I've just recently installed C News here and things are generally working
>very well.  I've spent the past two days trying to get NNTP working between
>this machine (Ultrix 3.1 VAX, sort of like 4.2 BSD) and a VMS machine running
>ANU News 5.9c, Wollongong TCP/IP, and VMS 5.
>
>{description of how access to history file fails deleted}

>I've glanced at the code and my suspcions lie in the dbm code which looks in
>the history file for the article id because Ultrix 3 is different (read broken)
>in several other ways from normal 4.2 BSD.  I'm pretty sure I've gotten the
>defines correct in common/conf.h but am certainly willing to entertain any
>ideas.

I also had a problem when I added nntp on top a an already running Cnews system.
I had built the Cnews system using the supplied dbz routines (don't have any
form of dbm on my Sys V R3).  I tried using gdbm with nntp, but it couldn't
read the dbz Cnews history file.  I had to use the dbz routines from Cnews in
nntp to get it to read the Cnews history file.  In general, I'd say if you
have trouble accessing the history file with different programs, make sure
they use *identical* dbm code.

--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med