[news.software.nntp] NNTP Saga Part II

lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) (09/03/90)

Having annoyed the news-reading world already with a silly question re: the
NNTP daemon (and smacking himself for not KILLING THE INETD AND RESTARTING IT,
instead of blindly xstrusting kill -HUP), our dashing hero moves on to more
focused sillyness.  The question at hand:  Why does the NNTP daemon refuse all
POST commands with a
"441 - cannot create temporary file."
error?  He has created the user 'usenet' and made sure that /tmp is world -
writable.  What more need be done?  Tune in next time, dear readers, to see if
some guru has solved our hero's problem.  How's that for a cliff-hanger ending?

;-)

Thor

*Thor Simon             * Okay, just a little pin-prick...There'll be no more-*
*lancelot@spock.UUCP    * Aieeeeaaaugh!-but you may feel a little _sick_.     *
*uunet!hsi!yale!lancelot*   ---Pink Floyd                                     *

kec@csc.canberra.edu.au (Katarina Christenson) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Sep2.200145.13654@spock.UUCP> lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
>       .....      The question at hand:  Why does the NNTP daemon refuse all
>POST commands with a
>"441 - cannot create temporary file."
>error?  He has created the user 'usenet' and made sure that /tmp is world -
>writable.  What more need be done ?    ....

We had the same problem.  We solved it by creating a .tmp directory in the
news spool directory (normally /usr/spool/news). This directory must of course
be writable and owned by the user "news". It also seems that the POSTER as
defined in conf.h for nntp should be "news".
There may exist a more correct solution but this one certainly works.

Katarina