[news.software.nntp] Problem with 1.5.10

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (09/07/90)

After receiving Stan's announcement of 1.5.10, I rushed right out to ftp
it for use with C-News ( 25 May 90).  I spent a couple of hours yesterday
afternoon porting it to AT&T Unix Sys V R 3.2.2 for AT&T 3B2 and
WIN/TCP R 3.0 ( which includes BSD4.2 socket libary emulations).  I used
the same values in conf.h that I'd used for 1.5.8 and left the new #defines
at their defaults.  Excpet for nntpxfer, I was able to get everything built
with C-News dbz support and installed.  A telnet to port 119 gave me the
1.5.10 [auth] sign-on and ready messages, my nntp feed was connecting and
the tmp files were depositing in ~/in.coming so I thought everything was fine
and went home.  Bad idea!!  I logged in later and noticed that all the tmp files
were still in ~/in.coming, none of the C-news batch files had been created.
Not only that, but all the nntp sessions were still "active" although a
netstat -a showed they were in CLOSE_WAIT.  Even after 7 hours they never
completly exited.  I had to manualy kill them all and re-install the 1.5.8
nntpd which is working just fine.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on?  I am about to pick up another
nntp feed site that wishes to use authentication, tus my desire to get
1.5.10 working.

Thanks in advance,
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep6.172613.6568@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> I wrote:

>[ wordy description deleted ]                            all the tmp files
>were still in ~/in.coming, none of the C-news batch files had been created.
>Not only that, but all the nntp sessions were still "active" although a
>netstat -a showed they were in CLOSE_WAIT.  Even after 7 hours they never

I think I have found part of the cause in addition to the SETPROCTITLE
problem Stan described.  I noticed via 'ps -ef | grep nntpd' that for each
nntp session started by my feed (and running as root), a second process
running under "usenet" was spawned.  Since my news system is owned by user
"news", this could be the problem.  Recompiling nntpd with POSTER defined as
"news" seems to have cured the above behavior.