[news.software.nntp] ** Client to NNTP for KA9Q/NOS? **

jtrim@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Jeff Trim) (09/09/90)

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has written an interface to NNTP for the
ka9q packet radio package.  I currently am running a UUCP system and
an seeking alternatives to UUCPing usenet down from a local university.

I have heard that folks have been attempting to make an IBMPC-ish newsreader
for NNTP but have not seen anything outthere yet.  Is there a SLIP or KA9Q
based newsreader avialable?  also would like to find a protocol specification
for NNTP if there is one, maybe an RFC? :)  Thanx for the help,

            - Jeff
              jeff@jeffpc.eds.com

vtcqa@shamash.cdc.com (Jeff Comstock) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep9.151607.1770@mercury.cair.du.edu> jtrim@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Jeff Trim) writes:
>Hello, I was wondering if anyone has written an interface to NNTP for the
>ka9q packet radio package.  I currently am running a UUCP system and
>an seeking alternatives to UUCPing usenet down from a local university.
>
>I have heard that folks have been attempting to make an IBMPC-ish newsreader
>for NNTP but have not seen anything outthere yet.  Is there a SLIP or KA9Q
>based newsreader avialable?  also would like to find a protocol specification
>for NNTP if there is one, maybe an RFC? :)  Thanx for the help,
>
>            - Jeff
>              jeff@jeffpc.eds.com

Hello Jeff,

There is a nntp client for KA9Q NOS.  It was originally written by Anders
Klemets at sics.se .  You should be able to find the original code in
archive/packet/ka9q/nos .  There were a few things to be tweaked in it,
so Bernie Roehl made some modifications to it.  Look at
watserv1.uwaterloo.edu, or else send email to broehl at that address.

Since things are nearing completion on this, I might as well tell you
this......

I have been working on an NNTP server for KA9Q for quite some time now.
The server has been tweaked to my satisfaction, now I am working on the
client routine for it.  I plan to announce it's release to the tcp-group
very soon.  The only thing is, the present client reads news from the
server and dumps it into a mail file for the NOS MBOX.  My server is
totally different, it will store news just like nntp does now - each
group has it's own directory and the file names correspond to the article
number.   This means that my software is not going to live well with the
present client.  If you only want to read news, get the existing client.
My server will mainly be usefull for transfering news from point A to B.
Right now there is no rn type software for my server, but I am hoping that
it will be included some day.  The server and transfer routines have been
keeping me real busy.  However, there is a news poster I have written and
will be in my client routine.

Jeff Comstock NR0D

PS - You want to see RFC977.  That is the rfc for NNTP. Note that NNTP2
is in the works.  It will include authentication.