[news.software.nntp] Xenix help

Hi.  I'm trying to install nntp 1.5.10 and C news on a Xenix box (Z-1000).
Could I persuade someone to send me their build.def file for C news,
and conf.h file for nntp?  Something weird's going on, and I'm not wizardly
enough to figure it out.  I'm sure I mis-configured *something*, because
whenever batches come in over nntp, they get thrown in bad, and I get
mailed a message saying that I got an errorcode 1, and I should look
in errlog for more information.  Well, errlog is empty, so I'm pretty
clueless...  BTW, relaynews has the right permissions, it's owned by
news, and when I run 'newsrun' by hand as news, it works.  Grrrrrr......

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (10/10/90)

In article <9010091914.AA08771@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> "aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET" <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> writes:
>Hi.  I'm trying to install nntp 1.5.10 and C news on a Xenix box (Z-1000).
>Could I persuade someone to send me their build.def file for C news,
>and conf.h file for nntp?  Something weird's going on, and I'm not wizardly
>enough to figure it out.  I'm sure I mis-configured *something*, because
>whenever batches come in over nntp, they get thrown in bad, and I get
>mailed a message saying that I got an errorcode 1, and I should look
>in errlog for more information.  Well, errlog is empty, so I'm pretty
>clueless...  BTW, relaynews has the right permissions, it's owned by
>news, and when I run 'newsrun' by hand as news, it works.  Grrrrrr......

This sounds suspiciously like the same or similar problem I had on Sys V R 3.
Can your system exec() a shell script?  If not, that is a likely source for
the behavior you see.  I had to set up newsrun as a cron job to process
the batches or they all went into the bit bucket.  Even using:
execle("/bin", "sh", newsrun, char(*) NULL, myenviron) ; failed to work.

The code is in batch.c and I had to comment it out.

Just a possibility,
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med

In article <1990Oct10.130057.11415@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) writes:

   In article <9010091914.AA08771@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> "aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET" <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> writes:

   >whenever batches come in over nntp, they get thrown in bad, and I get
   >mailed a message saying that I got an errorcode 1, and I should look
   >in errlog for more information.  Well, errlog is empty, so I'm pretty
   >clueless...  BTW, relaynews has the right permissions, it's owned by
   >news, and when I run 'newsrun' by hand as news, it works.  Grrrrrr......

   This sounds suspiciously like the same or similar problem I had on
   Sys V R 3.  Can your system exec() a shell script?

Probably not.  I changed the exec()'s to exec("/bin/sh", "sh", ...),
and it ran the shell scripts.  No, my problem turned out to be caused
by running nntpd as root.  I changed it to news and everything is now
hunky-dory.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson