[net.micro] replies to PC UNIX query

johnm@houxd.UUCP (#J.MONTGOMERY) (03/14/84)

<eat me>

Here are the replies to my recent query about UNIX or UNIX-like
systems for PC's.  As usual, there were many more requests for
information than replies containing information.  Thanks to all
who replied.

	John Montgomery
	Bell Communications Research
	ihnp4!houxd!johnm

From **RJE** Thu Feb 16 06:50 EST 1984
>From **RJE** Thu Feb 16 06:50 EST 1984 forwarded by **RJE**
>From evans Thu Feb 16 06:35 EST 1984 remote from mhuxt

We have an IBM XT running a 10 MHz M68000 Sritek card. In a nutshell the
Sritek hardware is pretty good (no hardware problems with the card - sevral
other Sritek owners report the same), and XENIX (Microsoft's Unix) isn't.
The Xenix is supposed to be a superset of version ]I[ with some file
protection enhancements. It looks like it was a real rush job (Sritek
supplies v2.3A and promisses an upgrade to 3.0 when (and if) it comes out)
and you can expect to do some hacking. Oh -- no source. The price is about
$3k for the 68000, 512k RAM, and Xenix (with a good c compiler, YACC, Lex,
etc).

Sritek does make boards with other chips. The most interesting is one with
the N16032 + MMU + FPP. CUrrently it is at 6 MHz, but they promise a 10 MHz
version next quarter. For your application this may be more interesting as
they use 4.1bsd with this product with 4.2 promissed in "a few quarters".

It is difficult to quote performance -- the 68000 does pretty much what you
would expect for a 68000 with 1 wait state and a 10 Meg. 100 ms hd.
The amount of RAM mkes a terrific difference -- as a test I dropped the
RAM visible to the 68000 to 128k and watched things come to a crashing halt.
256k is also pretty grim and 512 is all I can get in it. I would highly
recommend going to a larger and faster hard disk and would certainly go
for some sort of backup. (it takes about 30 floppies to backup the little
10 M ibm disk) The Tallgrass 35M hd with a 45M tape backup would be neat.

If you want more Sritek info call them at (216) 526-9433 and ask for
Walter Fuchs (technical sales) or Sudha Kavuru (pres).

					Steve Crandall
					mhuxt!evans

From uucp Thu Feb 16 21:47 EST 1984
Date: 16 Feb 84 20:47:35 CST (Thu)
From: ihnp4!sask!berni
To: ihnp4!houxm!houxd!johnm
Subject: *NIX on PC

I have been looking for a *NIX for my PC as well.  So far in my search I
haven't come up with the ultimate solution since I would like to run at least
one MS-DOS task from within *NIX.  The only one that does is QNX but most of
the commands and/or options are different from *standard* ones.
  I have heard lots of good things about Coherent which now has UUCP as well.
However I don't think it can run MS-DOS tasks.
  I would really appreciate seeing the responses you get.  Thanks.

Berni Schiefer		{alberta | utcsrgv | utah-cs | ihnp4}!sask!berni

From uucp Tue Feb 21 16:43 EST 1984
From: ihnp4!harpo!floyd!whuxle!bwkna!haight
Date: 21 Feb 84  15:42:12 EST  (Tue)
To: whuxle!floyd!harpo!ihnp4!houxm!houxd!johnm
Subject: Re: UNIX PC query

Sritek 68k add-in board: $3k
	V7 Un*x + vi
	Hardware delivered late (months, not days or weeks)
	Software works but installation stuff is very bad
		(sloppy stuff like bad file modes, bad docs)
	Promised software (e.g.: use of msdos loadable drivers)
		would you believe 6 mos (longer?) late.
	Also, i/o is a real dog on non-XTs
	Help from vendor: ha!