[news.software.nntp] NNTP security project and IBM CMS Netnews project

crs@convex.cl.msu.edu (Charles Severance (System Manager)) (11/21/90)

Brad Smith writes:

> Are the NNTP people working on a way so that you can restrict a news
> group to certain people (on certain machines)?  If not can we get
> it started?  I would be willing to help if needed.

Brad,

We at Michigan State University are slowly working on several enhancements
to news services, most of which are related to security.  I would like
to get feedback as to which of these might be useful to the general NNTP
user comunity and possibly be candidates for general use:

This project will extend network news usability in several areas:

-  NETNEWS Replacement for IBM CMS which uses NNTP (if you don't use
   an IBM mainframe, this is not very exciting)
-  NNTP support for secure newsgroups with optional individual access lists
   for each newsgroup.
-  Secure versions of the IBM NETNEWS and the UNIX rn to work with
   the secure newsgroups server.
-  NNTP code to provide distributed authorization capabilities for
   the security.  This will allow users to have accounts on
   machines other than the news server and still be authorized.
-  Code which allows a secure site to get a complete news feed using NNTP
   efficiently.  This project is called NNTPRCV.

The intent for replacing NETNEWS on the IBM is to provide nearly the
same functionality as the existing NETNEWS.

The idea behind secure newsgroups is to allow only a limited number of
users view and post certain news groups.   There would be an optional
access list on every news group which determined the accounts which could
access the news group.   This works with the distributed authentication below
so an entire organization can be authorized without adding a single
account to the news server.  This feature does not require the distributed
authentication howerver.

NNTP 1.5.10 has an authentication mechanism which is primarily used to limit
the ability of a user to read or post news on the server.  Unfortunately
the current implementation of the security requires that every user authorized
to post news have an account on the server.  Here at MSU this is silly
because our server is a special purpose news-only machine and there
is no reason to provide 80000 accounts on the machine just for authorization
for news.  This effectively makes the NNTP 1.5.10 scheme for authorization
useless.  We have added a new scheme which allows people to have access
if they have an account on any of a list of designated machines.
This scheme is called XAUTH and requires a distributed  authentication
daemon to be run on each of the authorized hosts.  We have a completed
authentication daemon for UNIX and work has started on an authentication
daemons for IBM CMS and VAX VMS.

These projects are all in various levels of completeness.  We will be
putting a big push on Between December and January to bring all of
these projects up to Beta test level.  Sometime in January, we
intend to begin internal Beta testing all of these projects.

Based on the results of the next several months of development and testing, we
will decide if we will make these services available to the MSU
community.  Unfortunately if the people who control NNTP development
will not adopt these features, it becomes very costly to maintain
them with each succeeding release of NNTP and we may decide that the
ongoing development ocst is too great.

I would like to hear from users who might be interested in any of these
projects.  The secure nntp feed software and the distributed authentication
code are nearly ready for Beta use.
--
Charles Severance                      internet:  crs@convex.cl.msu.edu
Michigan State University              phone:     (517) 353-2984

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (11/23/90)

The AUTH mechanism in NNTP 1.5.10 is there to illustrate the capabilities
of the mechanism, not to be the definitive WAY to do such authenitication.

NNTPv2 will have AUTH as part of the specification. As the current NNTP
curator, I am happy to see developments in this area, but I'd like to
encourage any work to be done withing the NNTPv2 spec.

That spec should be out as an RFC real soon now. My plans are to have
an NNTPv2 implementaion out early next year and no later than summer.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!sob   and Systems Support