[news.software.nntp] How to time-out nntp connections

wrl@wdl1.wdl.fac.com (Bill Lewandowski) (11/21/90)

Background: NNTP1.5.10 sun 3/280 4.0.3

Hi,
I have a sun server which is our news master. I have 100
nntp clients who get there news from the server.

We have been running into problems where inetd locks
new connections out (telnet,rlogin) until someone
logs off. We think we have hit some type of process table
limit. We have done some tweaking but no-go.

The only thing we notice is that there are upto 20 nntp connections
open at one time sitting idle. People are just leaving
rn,trn,xrn,nn etc open even though there are not reading news.

Question:
Is there a way to time out these connections after so much idle
time connected to the nntp port (119) for these users ???

Thanks,
Bill
Bill Lewandowski		LORAL Western Development Labs
(408) 473-4362			Internet: wrl@wdl1.wdl.fac.com
FAX: (408) 473-7926		UUCP: wdl1!wrl

andy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andy S Poling) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov20.235832.509@wdl1.wdl.fac.com> wrl@wdl1.wdl.fac.com (Bill Lewandowski) writes:
>Background: NNTP1.5.10 sun 3/280 4.0.3
>
>Hi,
>I have a sun server which is our news master. I have 100
>nntp clients who get there news from the server.
>
>We have been running into problems where inetd locks
>new connections out (telnet,rlogin) until someone
>logs off. We think we have hit some type of process table
>limit. We have done some tweaking but no-go.
>
>The only thing we notice is that there are upto 20 nntp connections
>open at one time sitting idle. People are just leaving
>rn,trn,xrn,nn etc open even though there are not reading news.
>
>Question:
>Is there a way to time out these connections after so much idle
>time connected to the nntp port (119) for these users ???

I could be wrong (I'm no BSD or SunOS guru), but I think the limitation
you're seeing is the number of file-descriptors that inetd can have open.

To answer your question... yes, there is a compile-time option to
automatically time-out idle connections.  I had problems with this time-out
code under SysVr3.1.5 - it was timeing connections out after seemingly
random intervals.  I don't yet know whether the fault was with the
NNTP1.5.10 code or a SysV problem - my short term solution was to undef the
compile time option for time-outs.

-Andy

--
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu