[news.software.nntp] C-News speed

fk@kos.rci.dk (Fleming Kraglund) (11/27/90)

royle@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Keenan Royle) writes:

>My configuration:
>Sparcstation 1+, 12 Meg RAM, 30 Meg swap.
>Cnews, nntp, 3 full feeds, 12 partial.

Does that include a NDP unit?

Since CNews is using awk for many things (and awk is using floats and not ints)
your speed is dependent on the speed of float operations.

>My in.coming spool is running terribly behind, can I make
>runnews process articles faster?

[and about processing 50 articles per. minute]

What we need is sed scripts.

just my .02$

--
Flemming Kraglund             fk@rci.dk                  This is my OWN opinion

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (11/27/90)

Try cnews-speedups.shar.  It is available via ftp from
ais.org:/pub/cnews-speedups.shar.

--
Jon Zeeff (NIC handle JZ)	 zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

royle@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Keenan Royle) (11/27/90)

Just thanking everyone on the help on the speed problem with
nntpd/Cnews.  The solution was to configure BATCHED_INPUT
properaly.  I thought I had, ended up giving up on it,
getting a fresh version of nntp, config'ing it and re-installing.
Runs great.  Using the workstation right now, no noticable
load.

Thanks everyone.
--

Keenan Royle