[news.software.nntp] nntp netnews readers -- summary

ospwd@mathcs.emory.edu (Peter Day {EUCC}) (11/28/90)

Here is a summary of the replies to my posting:

> I'm looking for netnews readers that use nntp.  I would prefer ones
> that are either freeware or very inexpensive.  I need them for
> Macintosh, MS-DOS, VMS, and any other OS that you know about.
> Please reply directly to me and I will summarize.

I got replies for VMS, UNIX and Macintosh, but nothing for the PC.
However, I found this on berkeley.edu: /pub/news/nntp/clients/ibm-pc
pcrrn.1.tar.Z, pcrrn.2.tar.Z, pcrrn.3.tar.Z

I looked at some of it and it appeared to be UNIX source.  I am looking
for something I can run under DOS.  I am not in a position to compile
source for a PC.  If you think you can do anything with this, I would
appreciate your giving it a shot.

From aaron@zippy.telcom.arizona.edu Tue Nov  6 10:42:07 1990

For VMS, there are 3, all freeware.

ANU News.  This is big, loaded with features, very "VMS-y".
Wants vast amount of memory.  It's the only NNTP server out
there for VMS.  Somewhat buggy.  Written in C.
Available in [anon_ftp.anu_v60] from kuhub.cc.ukans.edu.

VNEWS.  Client only.  Tighter 'n' terser than ANU.  Written
in Fortran.
Available from AMARNA.GSFC.NASA.GOV.

DXRN.  Client only.  xrn ported to DECwindows.
Needs a X server to display on, of course.
Can be found on GATEKEEPER.DEC.COM.

P.S. if you locate an NNTP news reader for MS/DOS, can
you let me know (or post to the net?)

Thx,

Aaron

Aaron Leonard (AL104), <Leonard@Arizona.EDU>
University of Arizona Telecommunications, Tucson AZ 85721

From sfalken@mondo.engin.umich.edu Tue Nov  6 13:16:02 1990

I've written an NNTP client program for Macintosh's with MacTCP.  It
will be appearing in an article for Apple's "develop" magazine on the
CD-ROM.  That issue will be coming out in January, so at that time,
I'll post the newsreader to the network, with full MPW C source code.
Before then, however, I can't legally distribute the program.

-Steve Falkenburg
 Macintosh Support
 Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)
 University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
 sfalken@mondo.engin.umich.edu

From phssra Tue Nov  6 13:30:50 1990

Yes, there are several available.  One is a free hypercard stack called
NetNews Reader, which you can get from apple.apple.com; I think it is
in the file

    pub/dts/mac/stacks/mactcp-toolkit-1-0.hqx

There is also a program called Mews which does both netnews and mail.
You can get it from sumex-aim.stanford in the files
info-mac/card/mews-14-part[12].hqx.

Finally, there is a commercial suite of programs called TCP/Connect II
from Interlan which also has this ability.  I have printed information
about that if you are interested.

The first two programs, I believe, require the separate-obtained
MacTCP, while the third comes supplied with it.

					Scott Anderson
					phssra@emoryu1
					7-4089

From glenn@mathcs.emory.edu Tue Nov  6 17:34:25 1990

Here`s some articles off of news.software.nntp i've saved:

In article <5075@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, glenn@mathcs.emory.edu (Glenn Barry) writes:
>Anybody know where we can get a VMS nntp server?

	NEWSRDR, written by Matt Madison, is available on anonymous FTP
from uclapp.physics.ucla.edu [128.97.64.122].  Matt also has it on his
system, vms.ecs.rpi.edu (sorry, don't know the IP address).

	This program uses the CMU-TEK TCP/IP implementation.

 /----------------------------\ /----------------------------------------\
| John Price                   | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu |
| 5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph                   |
| UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice                 |
| Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259                   |
 \----------------------------/ \----------------------------------------/

>From: mcmahon@ninet9.tgv.com (John McMahon)

In article <2518@dino.cs.iastate.edu>, wayne@grafix.iastate.edu (Wayne Hauber) writes...
:We've found a version of VNEWS for VMS but would rather offer rn and
:have a consistent news interface across a variety of operating systems.
:
:The question:  Is there a port of rn for VMS operating systems?

Well I guess you can't please everyone :-)  Out of curiosity, have you looked
at the latest version of VNEWS (1.3-4) ?

Right now, I am aware of three newsreaders for VMS.  They are:

VNEWS (psuedo-UNIX style interface.  Uses NNTP over IP).
ANU-NEWS (VMS style interface.  Uses everything?).
XRN (Port of UNIX XRN, NNTP over DECnet only).

I have seen a few mentions of people attempting ports of rn to VMS, but have
heard of no successes.

John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon    :    MCMAHON@TGV.COM    : TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TGV, Incorporated            :                       :    T   GGGGGGG  V     V
603 Mission Street           : HAVK (abha) Gur bayl  :    T  G          V   V
Santa Cruz, California 95060 : bcrengvat flfgrz gb   :    T  G    GGGG   V V
408-427-4366 or 800-TGV-3440 : or qrfgeblrq ol znvy  :    T   GGGGGGG     V

Date: 29 Aug 90 13:50:37 GMT

I'm not aware of any rn port, either.
I'm packaging up my port of XRn to DECwindows and Motif; when it's available
for FTP access I'll be posting here (as well as a few other groups..).
Uses TCP/IP or DECnet, requires a workstation.
	-Rick
--
Rick Murphy, WA1SPT/4			Digital Customer Center, Landover, MD
Domain:  murphy@ufp.dco.dec.com -or- murphy@ufp.enet.dec.com

Date: 5 Mar 90 04:20:48 GMT

Several clients are available, the biggest issue with them is "What version of
TCP/IP are you running ?", or are you looking for a DECnet implementation ?

The only server I know of is ANU NEWS...  check the vmsnet groups for more
info.

John "Fast Eddie" McMahon                          FASTEDDY@DFTNIC.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Code 630.4 - Advanced Data Flow Technology Office        SDCDCL::FASTEDDY (SPAN)
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD                 (301) 286-2045

"Living a 9600 Baud Lifestyle in a 1200 Baud World" - R.A.J.

From glenn@mathcs.emory.edu Tue Nov  6 18:46:34 1990

many other news readers for unix:

	1) vnews - old, it's on emory ... it think rn is based on it...
		   i'm not sure of nntp support

	2) xrn  - x11 based, really nice, uses nntp exclusively ... also
		  has vms support.

	3) trn - "threaded rn", very new, tracks subjects nicely, not sure
		 of nntp support (promo included below)

	4) nn - fairly new, lets you point and choose articles, not sure
		of nntp support (promo included below)

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 09:44:17 -0600
From: Bill Cramer <iex!cramer@uunet.UU.NET>

I know of a few free/share NNTP readers for the Macintosh.  Two use HyperCard
as a front end ('NetNewsReader' and 'Mews'); the third is a standalone Mac
application called 'TheNews'.  Mews is available from the standard Mac
archives; I *think* you can get NetNewsReader from Apple's FTP site. TheNews
should be showing up in comp.binaries.mac in the next week or two (I can mail
you a copy directly if you'd like -- I am its author).

Bill Cramer
{uunet,convex,ntvax}!iex!cramer

From madison@mdmvs.ecs.rpi.edu Wed Nov  7 10:02:18 1990
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 1990 10:02:35 EST

I can help you with the VMS end of things.  There are four NNTP news readers
that I know of for VMS: NEWSRDR, VNEWS, the reader that comes with the
ANU NEWS package, and XRN.  All of these are freely available, and I have
attached the VMS free software list (posted regularly to comp.os.vms), which
lists all of the above execpt XRN, for which I don't have a source.

Hope this helps.

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 09:24 EST

RN has the capability to use NNTP in a client/server format which
allows remote sites to read the news without having to have the
actual news files on the remote system.  I use it here, and have
found it to work quite well.

I know that it's available for a wide variety of Unix OS, but
have no idea what support it may provide for MS-DOS or other OS.
--
Prefered.: elw@netx.com				Edwin Wiles
Alternate: ...!grebyn!netex!elw			NetExpress Inc., Suite 300,

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 90 16:45:59 PST

I've installed numerous readers for UNIX and VMS machines.  I'd be
very interested in finding out about readers for MACs, MS-DOS machines
etc.

I assume you know about the various UNIX news readers, so I'll tell
you about VMS ones.

The main ones I know about are

ANU-NEWS and VNEWS.

VNEWS is a client nntp reader (written in fortran) and available in both
source and execuable savesets.  It has a command interface similar to
UNIX's rn.   It was very easy to setup and use, but doesn't have the
flexibility of newer version of rn/nn/trn.  It has very little
documentation.

ANU-News is a full client/server news release from Australian National
University.  Again, you can get the C source or executable savesets.
ANU-NEWS NNTP client service is very easy to setup and supports numerous
transport packages (Wollongong tcp/ip, TGV tcp/ip, and even DECNET)
The server software is more complex but it does provide some interesting
features (such as caching client servers) that are not available in
products like b/cnews.

ANU-NEWS comes with more documentation than any human being could ever
want (remember this is VMS), and is quite well written.

Hope this helps.

						David Perlin
						dave@tera.com

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 90 18:06:58 EST
From: uarthur!rpcfod@uunet.UU.NET (Robert Patt-Corner)

For the Mac, Harry Chesley's netNews Reader, Hypercard, very nice!

I'd like very much to know about DOS, very interested in what you hear!

Also VMS?
.
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 11:35:54 EST
From: uarthur!rpcfod@uunet.UU.NET (Robert Patt-Corner)

Good front end for the Mac is Harry Chesley's NetNews Reader.  I believe
it is in the public domain.

anoosh@mips.COM (Anoosh Hosseini) (11/28/90)

In article <6579@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, ospwd@mathcs.emory.edu (Peter Day {EUCC}) writes:

> Here is a summary of the replies to my posting:
>
> > I'm looking for netnews readers that use nntp.  I would prefer ones
> > that are either freeware or very inexpensive.  I need them for
> > Macintosh, MS-DOS, VMS, and any other OS that you know about.
> > Please reply directly to me and I will summarize.
>
> I got replies for VMS, UNIX and Macintosh, but nothing for the PC.
> However, I found this on berkeley.edu: /pub/news/nntp/clients/ibm-pc
> pcrrn.1.tar.Z, pcrrn.2.tar.Z, pcrrn.3.tar.Z

I picked up a Microsoft Windows NNTP based news reader a while back from
cica.cica.indiana.edu. It is written by Mark Riordan.  The package name
is  WINVN.zip, and at that time it was in directory /pub/pc/win3.
I thought it was a pretty nice looking one, though the Poster section of
the code had not yet been completed.

-anoosh

kjetilo@gollum.uio.no (Kjetil Otter Olsen) (11/28/90)

>Subject: nntp netnews readers -- summary
>From: ospwd@mathcs.emory.edu (Peter Day {EUCC})
>Date: 27 Nov 90 23:50:23 GMT
>
>Here is a summary of the replies to my posting:

kjetilo@gollum.uio.no (Kjetil Otter Olsen) (11/28/90)

On bcm.tmc.edu in the /nfs  directory you will find NEWS and NetNews,
two News-programs for PC/MS-DOS.

I only know NetNews, and it uses PC-NFS TCP/IP. It uses NNTP to
read and post news, and SMTP to send personal answers.
On bcm.tmc.edu is is in the file netnews.tar.Z

----
Kjetil Otter Olsen			kjetilo@gollum.uio.no
University of Oslo, Norway
----