[news.software.nntp] "ihave" problem with nntp on SPARC under SunOS 4.1

ramsey@cs.purdue.EDU (Ed Ramsey) (12/15/90)

I am having trouble figuring out what I am doing wrong with my installation
of nntp.  I have a SparcStation 1+ running SunOS 4.1 with nntp version
1.5.10.  The problem is that when an outside host tries to negotiate an
"ihave" session with my sparc it is refused because "ihave attempted without
permission"

I have checked the nntp_access file and it looks ok.  I looked at the
nntp/server source code and things seem like they should work.

Any suggestions?

-Ed

Here is part of the cron output from one of the hosts trying to send to my
sparc (fieldofdreams).

nntpsend: [8469] begin fieldofdreams.npirs.purdue.edu
200 fieldofdreams.npirs.purdue.edu NNTP server version 1.5.10 (2 September 1990)
 ready at Fri Dec 14 11:09:25 1990 (posting ok).
>>> IHAVE <1990Dec13.134405.13680@robobar.co.uk>
400 You do not have transfer permission
nntpxmit: fieldofdreams.npirs.purdue.edu improper response to IHAVE: 400 while
offering /usr/spool/news/comp/text/7764

--
-Ed Ramsey    User Services Manager, NPIRS, Purdue University
              ramsey@Purdue.edu !purdue!ramsey (317) 494-0442

katz@elements.rpal.com (Morry Katz) (12/15/90)

In article <12767@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> ramsey@cs.purdue.EDU (Ed Ramsey) writes:

> I am having trouble figuring out what I am doing wrong with my installation
> of nntp.  I have a SparcStation 1+ running SunOS 4.1 with nntp version
> 1.5.10.  The problem is that when an outside host tries to negotiate an
> "ihave" session with my sparc it is refused because "ihave attempted without
> permission"
>
> I have checked the nntp_access file and it looks ok.  I looked at the
> nntp/server source code and things seem like they should work.
>
> Any suggestions?

Did you enable ihave/sendme when you compiled the sources?
Morry Katz
Rockwell Science Center
administrator@rpal.com (machine administration issues)
katz@rpal.com (other)

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (12/15/90)

ihave/sendme in the news system has NOTHING to do with the IHAVE
command in the NNTP.  They are separate, although I'll admit they're a
bit confusingly named.  Perhaps we should have chosen something else
for the command.  Ah well, too late now.
	- Brian