[news.software.nntp] Does a Mac NNTP news reader exist?

seltzer@bearsan.COM (Wayne Seltzer) (02/26/91)

I'm looking for a NNTP news reader that runs on a
Macintosh.  Has such a thing been written?

--
Wayne Seltzer                                  seltzer@sda.com
Software Design & Analysis, Inc.               (303) 444-9100

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (02/27/91)

In article <455@bearsan.COM> seltzer@bearsan.COM (Wayne Seltzer) writes:
>I'm looking for a NNTP news reader that runs on a
>Macintosh.  Has such a thing been written?

There are a couple.  On the free side, there's a HyperCard stack from
Apple that was written by Harry Chesley.  I believe it is included with
the MacTCP developer kit, and may also be available via FTP from apple.com
or sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  There's another stack called "Mews" which
does both mail and news, and an application called "TheNews", both of which
I think are available on sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

On the commercial side, I wrote a newsreader in my last job, and it's my
favorite :).  For more information, contact:

	InterCon Systems Corporation
	950 Herndon Parkway, Suite 390
	Herndon, VA 22070
	+1 703 709 9890 (voice)
	+1 703 709 9896 (fax)

Good luck,
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (02/27/91)

In news.software.nntp, article <455@bearsan.COM>,
  seltzer@bearsan.COM (Wayne Seltzer) writes:
< I'm looking for a NNTP news reader that runs on a
< Macintosh.  Has such a thing been written?
<
I'm currently writing one (tentatively called "NewsView").

There already exist a couple of Mac newsreaders -- TheNews, a commercial
package or two, a Hypercard stack -- I don't know about the commercial
packages, but all the others suffer from an awful lack in functionality and
Mac-like-ness.

I'm currently writing a "real" mac news reader. Based on MacApp, multiple
windows (each NNTP connection, news group, and article, will have its own
window -- finally you can see two articles side by side!), with per-newsgroup
selection of shown headers and search order), the works. I'll put in as much
of rn/trn's functionality as will fit in there, including most of the
keyboard shortcuts and some sort of macro facility.

NewsView will be FTPable from iraun1.ira.uka.de in directory /pub/mac for
anyone who is interested in looking at it. This includes source code (still
heavily non-commented ;-). I'll put current versions there fairly regularly,
starting at the end of this week, so anyone who's interested can look at it
and comment on the user interface and of course help find the assorted bugs.

What I need are ideas for a macro editor. I need a wway to enter rules for
selecting articles and to specify what to do with them. Things like
"/alt.flame/h:j" may be pretty powerful, but there must be some way to
accomplish the same with a user interface.  :-)

Followups are redirected to comp.sys.mac.programmer.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (02/28/91)

In <455@bearsan.COM> seltzer@bearsan.COM (Wayne Seltzer) writes:

>I'm looking for a NNTP news reader that runs on a Macintosh.

There is a thing called the HyperNetNews stack, which is a HyperCard front end
using MacTCP. I think I remember this being a free demo program supplied with
MacTCP, but don't quote me. There is also something called Eudora about which
I know very little.

Try asking again on an appropriate comp.sys.mac board.

Steven.Maker@dartmouth.edu (Steven Maker) (03/05/91)

At Dartmouth College, two of us are writing a Macintosh NNTP news reader for
use as a general conferencing and bulletin board system here, and also to
interface with the Usenet News.  Temporarily called ProtoNews, it is currently
operational in developmental versions, and is in daily use by a number of
people, but at the moment only speaks our local network protocol (KSP).  A
future version will also support the Comm Toolbox, and will be usable outside
Dartmouth.  If we're allowed to, we'll distribute it for free.

ProtoNews is a MacApp program.   You read news via a three-paned window:
newsgroups, topics, & articles, with Macintosh style (not rn/nn) commands.  Any
number of windows can be open at once, containing newsgroups selected by you.
We think it's an improvement over the Unix-based systems, and our users seem to
agree.

I'm using it to post this message.

Steve Maker      INTERNET: Steve.Maker@dartmouth.edu
Courseware Development Group, Dartmouth College