[news.software.nntp] How to Tell What Version of NNTP the Server is Running

katz@elements.rpal.com (Morry Katz) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar5.144151.15451@porthos.cc.bellcore.com> gwf@sapphire.bellcore.com (George W. Fleming) writes:

> I am using NNTP to read netnews from a remote server.  In my attempts
> to upgrade the client side of NNTP, it would be nice to know which version
> of NNTP the server is running...to match and maximize capabilities.
>
> Is there a way to know which version of NNTP the server is running?
> Other than calling up and ask all the time?
Just telnet to the nntp port of the machine in question
(i.e. telnet foo.bar.com 119).  NNTP will print out a header in
response which includes its version number.

Morry Katz
Rockwell Science Center
administrator@rpal.rockwell.com (machine administration issues)
katz@rpal.rockwell.com (other)

gwf@sapphire.bellcore.com (George W. Fleming) (03/05/91)

--
George W. Fleming

JGROVER@MAINE.BITNET (John Grover) (03/08/91)

While the following is not foolproof, you can usually telnet to the
host using port 119, such as "telnet news.server.host.edu 119" and the
server greets you with a message which indicates the current version. Just
type "quit" (no quotes) to close the connection.

John Grover
Computing Center
University of Maine