[news.software.nntp] logging

wrl@wdl51.wdl.fac.com (Bill Lewandowski) (09/27/90)

Hi,
I have just installed NNTP 1.5.10 and we want to
log data tranfers as they go out. Can someone tell
me what they have in the /etc/syslog.conf ??

We are running nntplink for transmission of news.

We are a tail site so we are high volume in
(/usr/lib/news/log provides more than enough logging)
but we are low output and we are looking to create an out-going
nntp log. We see that nntp errs have been sent to /var/adm/message

System: sun3 4.0.3

Thanks

Bill Lewandowski
Ford Aerospace
wrl@wdl1.wdl.fac.com

manager@spool.mu.edu (Steven Goodman) (03/15/91)

	I can't seem to get syslog() to log information from nntpd.

	Using a Sun SparcStation SUNOS 4.1 and nntp 1.5.10

	I have defined
        #define SYSLOG LOG_NEWS

	and also defined  LOG and IHAVE_DEBUG

	What am I doing wrong here?

				Steven Goodman

mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (03/15/91)

On 14 Mar 91 16:58:38 GMT, manager@spool.mu.edu (Steven Goodman) said:

Steven> 	I can't seem to get syslog() to log information from nntpd.

Steven> 	Using a Sun SparcStation SUNOS 4.1 and nntp 1.5.10

I would recommend upgrading to 1.5.11 to save your GNUS users from pain.

Steven> 	I have defined
Steven>         #define SYSLOG LOG_NEWS

Steven> 	and also defined  LOG and IHAVE_DEBUG

Steven> 	What am I doing wrong here?

You might want to add the following lines to /etc/syslog.conf and then
issue a 'kill -HUP `cat /etc/syslog.pid` command:

#
# USENET Net News NNTP usage logging
#
news.info					/var/adm/nntp-info-log
news.err					/var/adm/nntp-err-log

Enjoy!
--
Mark D. Baushke
mdb@ESD.3Com.COM

In article <MDB.91Mar14101559@kosciusko.ESD.3Com.COM> mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) writes:
>On 14 Mar 91 16:58:38 GMT, manager@spool.mu.edu (Steven Goodman) said:
>
>#
># USENET Net News NNTP usage logging
>#
>news.info					/var/adm/nntp-info-log
>news.err					/var/adm/nntp-err-log
>

>Enjoy!
>--
>Mark D. Baushke
>mdb@ESD.3Com.COM

	I do have a line:

news.debug;news.info;news.err			/path/to/file

	and get no nntpd logging - I do however get nntplink stats here...

					Steven Goodman

--
Steven Goodman  -  Systems Administrator
Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science