[news.software.nntp] NEWGROUPS

mcmahon@tgv.com (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.074836.19931@watmath.waterloo.edu>, gamiddle@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:

#If I add a bunch of groups (say 100 or so) on my server, rrn on the clients
#takes forever to think about them.  It grabs the active file from the server,
#and looks at each group in turn.  Would be nice it if used the NEWGROUPS verb
#instead.  Does anybody have mods to do this?  Thanks.

The last time I looked at the RFC, I got the impression that NEWGROUPS was
unreliable and that it was being "discouraged" in favor of comparing a current
LIST command versus the "newsrc" file.  Is this no longer the case ?

--
John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon    :    MCMAHON@TGV.COM    : TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TGV, Incorporated            :                       :    T   GGGGGGG  V     V

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar15.002948.301@news.arc.nasa.gov> mcmahon@tgv.com writes:
>The last time I looked at the RFC, I got the impression that NEWGROUPS was
>unreliable and that it was being "discouraged" in favor of comparing a current
>LIST command versus the "newsrc" file.  Is this no longer the case ?

It's sort of a chicken-and-egg problem: the first few nntp-based
newsreaders didn't need the newgroups command, so it wasn't ever fully
implemented, and because it wasn't fully implemented, new newsreaders
didn't use it.  And because new newsreaders don't need it, no one has
gotten around to making the newgroups command fully operational.

What we need is a pioneer.  Or something.
		- Brian

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (03/20/91)

In news.software.nntp, article <1991Mar15.002948.301@news.arc.nasa.gov>,
  mcmahon@tgv.com writes:
<
< The last time I looked at the RFC, I got the impression that NEWGROUPS was
< unreliable and that it was being "discouraged" in favor of comparing a current
< LIST command versus the "newsrc" file.  Is this no longer the case ?

Under C News, NEWGROUPS works. One reservation: It still doesn't look in the
active file whether the newsgroup in question still exists.

The value of NEWGROUPS is debatable because there's no equivalent OLDGROUPS
(for newsgroups that have vanished), and so you still have to LIST everything
to keep up-to-date.

On my news reader, I'll probably just do the equivalent of rn's "Y" command
and let the user unsubscribe later.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/