[news.software.nntp] News post queueing

stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) (04/22/91)

I recently ran into some problems where a long running mkhistory process
locked the news system for a significant amount of time, and as a result
a lot of NNTP posting was held up.  The people posting their articles from
rn got stuck waiting for the article to be posted, and those who didn't
interrupt it had to wait until the mkhistory process finished and
the backlog of articles had been processed.

Is there some way for the mini-inews program to not be forced to wait
for the article, some way for it to send the article as a batch to the news
server?  Any ideas would be appreciated...

--
Mike Pelletier             | "Wind & waves are breakdowns in the commitment of
The University of Michigan |  getting from here to there, but they are the con-

In article <1991Apr21.220747.12081@engin.umich.edu> stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>Is there some way for the mini-inews program to not be forced to wait
>for the article, some way for it to send the article as a batch...

I'm not sure about all the peculiar interactions with NNTP, but the idea
of making postings turn into local batches is being looked at.  Running
mkhistory is typically a rare event, but there are other reasons why things
can lock up for a while.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr22.152147.586@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1991Apr21.220747.12081@engin.umich.edu> stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
>>Is there some way for the mini-inews program to not be forced to wait
>>for the article, some way for it to send the article as a batch...
>
>I'm not sure about all the peculiar interactions with NNTP, but the idea
>of making postings turn into local batches is being looked at.  Running
>mkhistory is typically a rare event, but there are other reasons why things
>can lock up for a while.

This was the consensus a few months ago when I asked.

This is the mod to the tail end of inews I made...

$ diff inews.old inews
324c324,327
<       relaynews $relayopts -s $exclusion -d "$debug" <$censart
---
> #     relaynews $relayopts -s $exclusion -d "$debug" <$censart
>       (echo "#! rnews `wc -c $censart | awk '{print $1}'`"
>        cat $censart) |
>               rnews

The line numbers are probably wrong for most people since I'm not fully
patched up yet.

It works fine once the users realise it may take a short while for the
article to appear.  Even longer if you use trn or similar :-(
--
\/ato. Ian Dickinson.   / /// Send your dollars, Homeboy, \\\ \     /'\  /`\
vato@warwick.ac.uk     ( (((  I'm a Pink Foetus for "Bob"  ))) )   /^^^\/^^^\