[news.software.nntp] nntpxfer problems

mike@cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) (03/22/91)

We've been using nntpxfer to selectively pick the newsgroups
we need which reduces net traffic. Recently though we've hit
a problem where requesting an article fails with a

  502 : Can't give that to you, sorry

which is generated in the server at about line 53 in ahbs.c
where a check_ngperm fails. I can accept that.

BUT, should this error be a non-fatal error? Currently, the transfer
aborts and I get no news until I post locally an article with the
same message-id so that the article is not requested any more.

(change line 53/54 from ERR_ACCESS to ERR_NOART or something)

    -Mike Grenier
     mike@sp.unisys.com
     mike@cimcor.mn.org

sysnet@cc.newcastle.edu.au (04/04/91)

In article <1991Mar22.115643.23058@cimcor.mn.org>, mike@cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
> We've been using nntpxfer to selectively pick the newsgroups
> we need which reduces net traffic. Recently though we've hit
> a problem where requesting an article fails with a
>
>   502 : Can't give that to you, sorry

I discovered this in 1.5.10 and sent the following to Stan Barber (too late
for 1.5.11):

I have been using nntpxfer to grab large amounts of news from a nearby server
to set up a new one.  In the course of this, I discovered what might be a bug,
or might be a misinterpretation of something by the server.

Anyway, what happened was that nntpxfer would ask for new news in a newsgroup
(or a wildcard list of newsgroups).  The server would respond with the list of
new items, and my machine would then proceed to ask for them individually.
Unfortunately, requests for some articles would give the response (produced
with debugging enabled in nntpxfer):

	>>> ARTICLE <0094344F.15962800@robot.nuceng.ufl.edu>
	502 Can't give that to you, sorry.
	nntpxfer: protocol error: got '502 Can't give that to you, sorry.'

The nntp session was then closed immediately, leaving a whole lot of news
items unable to be retrieved.

When I looked at nntpxfer.c, it seems that the checking of responses is
perhaps not as rigorous as it might be.  In the short term, I have added code
which just skips an article whose returned status is 5xx.  Here is the diff
output showing the lines added to the version of nntpxfer distributed with
nntp 1.5.10.

*** nntpxfer.c.orig	Sun Aug 26 07:59:00 1990
--- nntpxfer.c	Fri Feb  1 16:34:01 1991
***************
*** 384,389 ****
--- 384,397 ----
  		return(0);
  		}

+ /* Start DFM 1-Feb-91 */
+ 	if (buf[0] == '5')	/* Some unspecified error - skip the article */
+ 		{
+ 		misart++;
+ 		return(0);
+ 		}
+ /* End DFM 1-Feb-91 */
+
  	if (buf[0] != '2')	/* uh-oh, something's wrong! */
  		{
  #ifdef SYSLOG

All this does is recognise an "unspecified error" and goes on to the next
article rather than having it treated as a "real" error and dying.
--
David Morrison, Manager, Networks and Comms, Uni of Newcastle, Australia
sysnet@cc.newcastle.edu.au or (VAX PSI) psi%0505249626002::sysnet

ronnie@sos.com (Ron Schnell) (04/30/91)

We are using nntpxfer to get news from a server machine.  However, my
line in the nntp.<sitename> file has grown large enough so the server
rejects the NEWNEWS line.  Is there any way to split up the groups
without faking a new sitename?

#Ron
(ronnie@sos.com)