[news.software.nntp] Patches for NNTP on SCO UNIX

iverson@xstor.com (Tim Iverson) (05/25/91)

In article <1255@netwrx1.NW1.COM> graham@netwrx1.NW1.COM (James M. Graham) writes:
>Does the NNTP software available on uunet (nntp.1.5.11) build on standard
>SCO UNIX/386 computers with Lachman TCP/IP?.

No.  It requires a small amount of porting.

>Do I need any specific info
>not included with the NNTP software to enable me to build it on my SCO
>host?

Among other minor details, you'll need to do a setluid() at the beginning of
main() in nntpd.  Or, if you wish, I could mail my SCO/nntp patches to you.

>  James M. Graham		Usenet:	  uunet!netwrx1!graham
>  Open Networks, Inc.		Internet: graham%netwrx1@uunet.uu.net

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@xstor.com -/- uunet!xstor!iverson

Here follows a description of the patch sets I have for nntp 1.5.11.  They're
rather small (10KB ea.), so if I get several requests, I'll just post them.

---------------- patch set for sco unix
This patch file requires patch-2.0.2.0 patchlevel 12u4.  You might have some
success with unipatch or earlier 12u* versions of patch, but you're on your
own there.  It makes the standard nntp-1.5.11 distribution compile and run
under SCO Unix 3.2.2 with TCP/IP 1.1.1b.

What it does:	modify setup (conf.h) and makefiles as used for xstor.com
		modify server/main.c to do a setluid (ugly c2-ism)
		minor mods to several other files (use statfs, etc.)

To apply:	cd nntp-1.5.11
		cp common/conf.h.dist common/conf.h
		patch -p < this_file
		edit conf.h (at least change "xstor.com" to something else)

To compile:	You must have libcnews.a (created when you built cnews) in
		one of the places searched by ld; e.g. /lib or perhaps
		/usr/local/lib/gcc.

N.B.	This patch has only been tested with gcc-1.39-SCO.3 (i.e. 1.39 with
	all of my SCO patches applied).  It will probably work equally well
	with the standard dev-sys.

---------------- patch set for trn
This patch file requires patch-2.0.2.0 patchlevel 12u4.  You might have some
success with unipatch or earlier 12u* versions of patch, but you're on your
own there.

What it does:	modifies the LIST command to also list trn's active2 file.
		adds an XTHREAD command so trn can access threads remotely.

To apply:	cd nntp-1.5.11
		patch -p < this_file

To compile:	None of the installation files or Makefiles are modified,
		so you will have to follow the directions included with

		nntp.  For SCO Unix, you should apply the sco unix patch.

For trn to take advantage of this patch, you will need to apply my trn
xthread patch.