[news.software.nntp] Will nntp 1.6 support SCO & ISC Unix?

iain@norisc.UUCP (Iain Lea) (06/03/91)

Will the forthcoming release of nntp fully support SCO & ISC Unix?

Also will the Archive-name: field in some netnews groups
(ie. comp.sources.misc) ever be supported by the nntp protocol.
I ask this because I have hacked the tass newsreader to thread on
the Archive-name: field. This allows easy saving of source code
and allows easier reading of certain groups. When tass is used locally
this feature works, but over nntp the Archive-name: field is not bought
over with the header.

Iain

--
EMAIL  iain@norisc.uucp  !unido!estevax!norisc!iain
SNAIL  Siemens AG, AUT 922C, Postfach 4848, Germany

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (06/03/91)

In article <309@norisc.UUCP> iain@norisc.UUCP (Iain Lea) writes:
>Will the forthcoming release of nntp fully support SCO & ISC Unix?
NNTP 1.5.11 has an unoffical patch that makes it run on ISC Unix today.
NNTP 1.6 will run (after proper configuration) on either ISC Unix or
SCO Unix.
>Also will the Archive-name: field in some netnews groups
>(ie. comp.sources.misc) ever be supported by the nntp protocol.
NNTP already provides a mechanism to retrienve arbitrary parts of a header
whether they are official or not. This feature will continue into NNTP 1.6.
Generally, the Archive-name: is not in the header and therefore can't
be retreived with NNTP. Should Archive-name become part of the header, this
will work.
--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support