[news.software.nntp] NNTPXMIT Problem reading the file of articles to send

derwin@mach2.WLU.CA (Daryl Erwin) (06/05/91)

While trying to get NNTPXMIT to work yesterday, I found a problem
with nntpxmit.c trying to read the file of articles to send.  What is
wrong here....
   the file contains lines similar to
         /usr/spool/news/alt/test/1 435
         /usr/spool/news/alt/test/2 435
         /usr/spool/news/alt/test/3 435
   These lines are put there by Pnews (inews or something) and are
determined by what was found in my sys file for sending out.  BUT, when
nntpxmit.c tries to read this file it doesn't expect to find anything
after the article (file name). I have checked another site using nntpxmit
and this number is the message-id.  So I assume its supposed to be there.

Well, then is it not supposed to be there or is nntpxmit supposed to handle
it or, the route I took, cat the file (of filenames) through awk before
processing through nntpxmit. What is the $.10 answer?

Any help or clarifications is appreciated.

PS System: Sequent Dynix running Cnews and Pnews.
aft

--
Daryl Erwin                                     Net Address: derwin@mach2.WLU.CA
Computing Services                              Surface Mail: P4-1, Main Campus

In article <1991Jun5.133033.24524@mach2.wlu.ca> derwin@mach2.WLU.CA (Daryl Erwin) writes:
>While trying to get NNTPXMIT to work yesterday, I found a problem
>with nntpxmit.c trying to read the file of articles to send.  What is
>wrong here....
>   the file contains lines similar to
>         /usr/spool/news/alt/test/1 435

Use the F flag, not the f flag, in your sys-file entries.  See news(5).
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

revell@uunet.uu.net (James R Revell Jr) (06/06/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
} derwin@mach2.WLU.CA (Daryl Erwin) writes:
} >While trying to get NNTPXMIT to work yesterday, I found a problem
} >with nntpxmit.c trying to read the file of articles to send.  What is
} >wrong here....
} >   the file contains lines similar to
} >         /usr/spool/news/alt/test/1 435
}
} Use the F flag, not the f flag, in your sys-file entries.  See news(5).

Seems odd to remind the author of features in his own code, but I
believe the n flag is better for nntp links (equivalent of FI in
bnews).  This is in all the current Cnews' and not just the time-
warped UUNET version right?
--
James Revell   sr uunet postmaster   <revell@uunet.uu.net>   /8^{~

In article <1991Jun6.030325.1664@uunet.uu.net> revell@uunet.uu.net (James R Revell Jr) writes:
>} Use the F flag, not the f flag, in your sys-file entries.  See news(5).
>
>Seems odd to remind the author of features in his own code, but I
>believe the n flag is better for nntp links (equivalent of FI in
>bnews).  This is in all the current Cnews' and not just the time-
>warped UUNET version right?

Actually, it's Geoff's code, but that's a detail...  The n flag probably
is better, but I pay as little attention to NNTP as I can get away with,
so I suggested a simple fix I knew about rather than a better one that
I'd have to go digging to confirm.

Yes, n has been in C News for quite a while.
--

nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.030325.1664@uunet.uu.net> revell@uunet.uu.net (James R Revell Jr) writes:
>henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>} derwin@mach2.WLU.CA (Daryl Erwin) writes:
>} >While trying to get NNTPXMIT to work yesterday, I found a problem
>} >with nntpxmit.c trying to read the file of articles to send.  What is
>}
>} Use the F flag, not the f flag, in your sys-file entries.  See news(5).
>
>Seems odd to remind the author of features in his own code, but I
>believe the n flag is better for nntp links (equivalent of FI in
>bnews).

I tried switching the sites I feed via NNTP from the F flag to the n flag
and all the articles started falling on the floor!  The files were being
created OK in news/out.going with the message-id as the second field.
But for some reason nntpxmit was reporting ihave_stats 0 offered 0 accepted
0 rejected 0 failed.  A check with a site I feed confirmed it.

Any ideals?  I switched back to the F flag for now.  I am running Cnews
with NNTP 1.5.10.  The only non-standard patch is in nntpd for Paul Vixie's
msgid daemon.  I don't see how that would affect nntpxmit.

--
Ron Nash 	San Diego State University
Internet:  	nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu

enger@seka.scc.com (Robert M. Enger) (06/10/91)

Ron Nash wrote:
|> I tried switching the sites I feed via NNTP from the F flag to the n flag
|> and all the articles started falling on the floor!  The files were being
|> created OK in news/out.going with the message-id as the second field.
|> But for some reason nntpxmit was reporting ihave_stats 0 offered 0 accepted
|> 0 rejected 0 failed.  A check with a site I feed confirmed it.
|>
|> Any ideals?  I switched back to the F flag for now.  I am running Cnews
|> with NNTP 1.5.10.  The only non-standard patch is in nntpd for Paul Vixie's
|> msgid daemon.  I don't see how that would affect nntpxmit.

The CHANGES file I have indicates that support for message-id's in the
batch files was included in version 1.5.11.  Time to upgrade!

1.5.11
	<stuff deleted>
	Fixes to nntpxmit to support CNEWS batch file formats which
	contain the name of the article file and its message id.
	[flee@guardian.cs.psu.edu]
	<lots more stuff>

As I understand it, use of the 'n' flag is supposed to make things a lot
more efficient because the xmitting host doesn't have to open each file
to get the message-id before it offers the article to the distant end.
Thus, only those articles which will really be transferred to the distant
end will wind up being opened and read from disk.

Hope this helps,
Bob

--

Robert M. Enger