[news.software.nntp] Question about NNTP configuration

bruce@claven.cambridge.ibm.com (Bruce Greer) (06/11/91)

I have a question about the way an NNTP fed machine is supposed to operate.
We have one news machine that 10-15 people use.  It receives an NNTP feed.
While it took some time figuring out how to get the incoming batches
unpacked and distributed for reading, it took even longer for me to figure
out how to get articles that we post to be transmitted back to our upstream
feed.  We receive lots (I won't guess how many) of articles daily.
The way we're set up now, our machine turns around and offers to nntpxmit
all of the articles we receive back to the feed where we got them.
Could someone tell me if this is what's supposed to happen?  Ideally,
we should only offer to transmit back articles generated here.

Thanks for any help,

Bruce Greer                VMID:	GREER at CAMBRIDG
IBM Technical Computing    IBMNET:	bruce@sim.cambridge.ibm.com
101 Main Street
Cambridge, MA 02142        Internet:	bruce@claven.cambridge.ibm.com

Confidence, n.:
	The feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed here do not represent IBM.

kenc@suntan.viewlogic.com (Kenstir) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.144346.9015@claven.cambridge.ibm.com>, bruce@claven.cambridge.ibm.com (Bruce Greer) writes:
> I have a question about the way an NNTP fed machine is supposed to operate.
> We have one news machine that 10-15 people use.  It receives an NNTP feed.
> While it took some time figuring out how to get the incoming batches
> unpacked and distributed for reading, it took even longer for me to figure
> out how to get articles that we post to be transmitted back to our upstream
> feed.  We receive lots (I won't guess how many) of articles daily.
> The way we're set up now, our machine turns around and offers to nntpxmit
> all of the articles we receive back to the feed where we got them.
> Could someone tell me if this is what's supposed to happen?  Ideally,
> we should only offer to transmit back articles generated here.

The problem is not with NNTP, it is with the /usr/lib/news/sys file
for Cnews or Bnews, whichever you run at your site.  This is what happens
with Cnews:  The "Path:" header of every article received is checked to
see if the site(s) you feed have seen it yet.  If the name of the system
you are sending to is different from the name of the system as it appears
in the Path header, then every article you receive will turn around and
go right back!  I send to "m2c.m2c.org", but they put only "!m2c!" in the
Path header, so I need an entry like so in my sys file:

	m2c.m2c.org/m2c: ...

--
Kenneth H. Cox
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.