[news.software.nntp] SYSLOG & LOG what does the info. represent

zdkm01@hou.amoco.com (Dave Moore) (06/14/91)

NNTP SYSLOG with LOG defined.  It appears that the logging information
does not accurately reflect a session conducted by a remote news
reader.  For instance, in the following session I read only two
articles in comp.sources.wanted and one article in comp.bugs.sys5:

Jun 14 10:28:17 voyager nntpd[545]: taurus connect
Jun 14 10:28:26 voyager nntpd[545]: taurus group comp.sources.wanted
Jun 14 10:28:41 voyager nntpd[545]: taurus group comp.bugs.sys5
Jun 14 10:28:44 voyager nntpd[545]: taurus exit 5 articles 2 groups
Jun 14 10:28:45 voyager nntpd[545]: taurus times user 0.310 sys.......

What does the articles number(5) reflect?

Also, I've observered the behaviour where a long list of groups will
be associated with a connection for a news reader when in fact only
a couple of groups were read.   Does this happen as a result of
newgroups being added to the users .newsrc file?  What are the
conditions in order for a group to be recorded for a session?

Any information someone might be able to provide regarding the log
information would be very greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
--
Dave Moore	dmoore@hou.amoco.com
Amoco Corp. ISD SSS/Mini-Micro Systems

andy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andy S Poling) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.155035.584@hou.amoco.com> zdkm01@hou.amoco.com (Dave Moore) writes:
>NNTP SYSLOG with LOG defined.  It appears that the logging information
>does not accurately reflect a session conducted by a remote news
>reader.
[...]
>What does the articles number(5) reflect?

Just a guess, but... if you asked for a list of Subjects for the articles in
the newsgroup, it had to open each article to ascertain the subject.

-Andy
--
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
UNIX Systems Programmer                  Bitnet: ANDY@JHUNIX

sob@tmc.edu (Stan Barber) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.155035.584@hou.amoco.com> zdkm01@hou.amoco.com (Dave Moore) writes:
>Jun 14 10:28:44 voyager nntpd[545]: taurus exit 5 articles 2 groups
>What does the articles number(5) reflect?
It means that the user fetched 5 artciles from 2 groups during his/her
session.
>What are the conditions in order for a group to be recorded for a session?
If a newsreader uses the "GROUP" command, it will log that.

--
Stan           internet: sob@bcm.tmc.edu         Director, Networking
Olan           uucp: rutgers!bcm!sob             and Systems Support