[pubnet.talk] Survey: What would you like to see

mjb@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (02/15/89)

First of all, please excuse my cross-posting this so widely.  It is just
that the opinions we are seeking are needed from a wide spectrum.  With
that said....

We are seriously considering the idea of authoring a new bbs system for unix.
Now I know you are quickly retorting "we've got several, why do we need
another one?!"  In that sense you are correct.  But aren't there some
feature(s) here and there that you don't see and would like to?  What about
look and feel?  Are they "friendly" enough?  Now before I go any further,
let me first say that the systems that have gone before have had *MANY*
hours of hard work put into them!  The authors of these systems are to
be commended for the time and effort they have so graciously volunteered.
In no way am I trying to belittle the work they have done.

So why?  Well, why have two versions of Unix?  Why have several versions
of Lisp or EMACS?  Because, people have different needs, different tastes,
and no one system is everything to everybody, if it were, then where would
the spirit of creation and innovation lie?

We run a public access site here at raider.  We have a BBS for non-aligned
users from the DOS world.  As SOME of you MAY feel, most unix bbs systems
are VERY different from a DOS based bbses.  For us, and we have looked at
about ALL of them, non of the current systems really do what we want, nor
do they fully satisfy our users.  Why run a bbs if your local users don't
like it?  Our only alternative is to write our own.  It is to have the
look and feel of a DOS bbs (with color ansi graphics, curses, or plain
dumb terminal interfacing).  We are planning on developing a command
language interpretter using yacc and lex.  We are also taking our endeavor
very seriously (we are educated in the fields of computer science and are
well experienced in the computer industry).

So you might ask "why are you telling me all this?  Just post to
comp.sources.unix when you are done and I'll be the judge!"  Well,
that is true too.  But the jist of my posting here is to introduce
our project to you and, MOST IMPORTANT, to solicit input from the Usenet
community as to what you LIKE or DISLIKE in a unix based bbs system.
DOS USERS:  What DOS bbs features do you miss in unix bbses?  How
important is sysop utilities to aid in operation?  What about installion?
Size?  Capacity?  Usenet News capabilities?  Suggestions for message
and file systems?  Etc.  Etc.  Etc.  If you ever had a gripe about
a unix bbs, please let us know.  We are *NOT* trying to make a system
that is everything for everybody!  We are just trying to collect ideas
and suggestions (and critisisms) to better enable us to produce something
useful and worthwhile.  No one likes to re-invent the wheel (although
some will be necessary) or waste time on features that were poorly
designed, or no one liked.

I apologize for this being so long.  We are just now beginning to
research our wish list and wanted to get your opinions as well.  Thank
you so much for your time and consideration.  Please *EMAIL* responses,
etc., to raider!project (project@raider.MFEE.TN.US) or raider!bbs
(bbs@raider.MFEE.TN.US).  Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Mark J. Bailey
mjb@raider.MFEE.TN.US
RaiderNet Pubilc Access

garnett@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (John Garnett) (02/16/89)

in article <88@raider.MFEE.TN.US>, mjb@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) says:

> Survey: What would you like to see (but haven't) in a unix bbs???

I would like to see a **ix bbs that allowed the option of logging in
without going through all of the bbs-type menu's involved with a
normal bbs.  The **ix bbs's that I am familiar with do not allow a
user's .profile to be changed because the .profile is used to start
up the bbs menus.  I don't know about other **ix users, but I like
to customize my .profile to do what I want with it.

--John Garnett

In article <7173@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> garnett@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (John Garnett) writes:
>in article <88@raider.MFEE.TN.US>, mjb@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) says:
>
>> Survey: What would you like to see (but haven't) in a unix bbs???
>
>I would like to see a **ix bbs that allowed the option of logging in
>without going through all of the bbs-type menu's involved with a
>normal bbs.  The **ix bbs's that I am familiar with do not allow a
>user's .profile to be changed because the .profile is used to start
>up the bbs menus.  I don't know about other **ix users, but I like
>to customize my .profile to do what I want with it.

No problem.

AKCS has that capability; it's got an "akcsopt" file which is the moral
equivalent of the .profile for shell users.

Captive users sign on with a user login id and a password, just like you'd
expect from a Unix (or any other timesharing) system.

There's an option screen which has your .akcsopt parameters visible and
accessible.  You can change a great deal of the system behavior by editing
this area, including message display format, pager choice(s), editor to use,
your name, command and help display set, and much more.

It may not be called a ".profile", but it serves the same function.
We also have a ".plan" file so you can "identify" other bbs users
(works like finger for shell accounts).

(Disclaimer: I'm highly biased - we produce AKCS :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"