[comp.unix.microport] 386 w/ locus-merge

will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) (02/10/88)

Is this group restricted to 286 machines?

Is anyone out there using an 80386 system running
Microport SV.3 and Locus' Merge?

We'd be happy to share experiences and workarounds.
--
Will Nelson		uucp: {ucbvax!decvax!decwrl}!pyramid!oliveb!cygnet!will
Cygnet Systems, Inc.

mechsfm@tness1.UUCP (Shawn McDonald 512+377-6226) (02/11/88)

In article <713@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS> will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) writes:
>Is this group restricted to 286 machines?

I hope not.

>Is anyone out there using an 80386 system running
>Microport SV.3 and Locus' Merge?

Not exactly, but close.  We are using an 80386 machine with Microport SV.3
and Microport's DOSMerge.

>We'd be happy to share experiences and workarounds.

I would also be interested in hearing about experiences and problems
encountered.  I would especially like to here a discussion from
other 80386 users who are using DOSMerge.  I would also
appreciate hearing from people who are using other DOS command
processors within SV.3 such as Locus Merge, DOSMerge, etc.
I am interested in other DOS processors because I think DOSMerge
has some major problems in mapping tty ports to com ports, and
also in supporting a VGC.

----
Shawn McDonald			...ihnp4!killer!tness1!tness5!mechsfm
SWBT / Network Mechanization		(512)377-6226
San Antonio, TX

bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) (02/15/88)

In article <384@tness1.UUCP> mechsfm@tness1.UUCP (Shawn McDonald 512+377-6226) writes:
>In article <713@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS> will@cygnet.CYGNETSYSTEMS (Will Nelson) writes:
>>Is anyone out there using an 80386 system running
>>Microport SV.3 and Locus' Merge?
>Not exactly, but close.  We are using an 80386 machine with Microport SV.3
>and Microport's DOSMerge.

DOSMerge IS the Locus computing's Merge product repackaged and sold under
Microport name - they are the same - originally developed by Locus!!
I am running Microport V/386 (AT&T UNIX SVR3) with DOSMerge on a Zenith
Z-386 machine with 4 meg extended mem. and 640k base memory and two 40
meg. hard disks.

VP/ix, however, is a of different origin, I hear.  It's developed by
Interactive Systems who also developed 386/ix.  386/ix is the basis for
Microport's V/386, if not the same old version.

>>We'd be happy to share experiences and workarounds.
>
>I would also be interested in hearing about experiences and problems
>encountered.  I would especially like to here a discussion from
>other 80386 users who are using DOSMerge.  I would also
>appreciate hearing from people who are using other DOS command
>processors within SV.3 such as Locus Merge, DOSMerge, etc.
>I am interested in other DOS processors because I think DOSMerge
>has some major problems in mapping tty ports to com ports, and
>also in supporting a VGC.

I haven't been playing with DOS side too much yet.  But, the followings
are some of the things you should know before buying the product.

	1. There seems to be a limit on how many DOS sessions you
	   can have at the same time - seven concurrent DOS sessions,
	   I think.  Correct me if I'm wrong Microport.
	2. My version is a Beta release and is not 100 % bug free -
	   but, don't get me wrong.  I think they did a wonderful job.
	3. If you expect to run graphics oriented programs while in
	   DOS from remote terminals you need:
		1) a terminal that behaves like a PC - i.e.  Wyse 60
		2) a special kind of display adaptor which allows
		   multiple graphics terminals hook up.
	4. CGA/EGA seems to works fine on console, virtual consoles.
	   I haven't tested with VGA.
	5. Screen oriented programs like UNIX "vi" cannot be run from DOS side.
	6. You could, however, run word perfect from UNIX side and later
	   use vi to edit the same file - neat, huh?

Overall, I'm VERY impressed with the product.  The most important thing is
that it does WORK - albeit its beta status.  Keep up the good work Microport.
Now, if they could just provide some library and manual for programming
applications in DOSmerge/UNIX environment....  I like to, for instance, open
a pipe from DOS application to Unix process to have them communicate w/
each other.  Is this planned for future?

Hwa Jin Bae
Control Data Corp.     bae@{ati,aftac}.tis.llnl.gov        (Internet)
4234 Hacienda Drive    {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg}!lll-tis!bae    (UUCP)
Pleasanton, CA 94566   hbae@plseca                         (smail)

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (02/16/88)

In article <384@tness1.UUCP> mechsfm@tness1.UUCP (Shawn McDonald) writes:

> >Is anyone out there using an 80386 system running
> >Microport SV.3 and Locus' Merge?
>
> Not exactly, but close.  We are using an 80386 machine with Microport SV.3
> and Microport's DOSMerge.

Just for the record, Locus' Merge and Microport's DOSMerge are one and
the same.  Microport buys it from Locus.  In fact, every product I know
of that has Merge in the name (286 and 386) originates at Locus.  (I think,
though I don't know for sure, that Locus has trademarked the name "Merge".)

To my knowledge, there are only two companies doing DOS-under-UNIX right
now.  Locus' product is Merge;  Interactive Systems makes VP/ix.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (02/23/88)

Does anyone know how to get a dos task under uport merge to use the parallel
port _directly_ instead of using the unix lp for prn output?  Supposedly
it is described in the Advanced User's Manual, which is part of the
"complete set of Merge 386 manuals", but is not included.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu