[comp.unix.microport] Praise for Excelan's response to my merge/386 problems

bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov (02/20/88)

Although I've bitched about the Excelan product in the previous article
I should mention that their customer support people are one of the best
in the industry.  They have been excellent in following up on my questions.

So far, they have helped me fix the Merge/386 problem - this was not
really their fault.  It was my own mistake for not setting correct variables
when installing the new kernel.  However, the installation document could
have been better - there was no mention of such instructions.  There happened
to be a small section in the release note I forgot to remember.

Anyway, the stuff does work and work WELL with DOS merge.

Still, I think they could have done better job with socket library calls.

I just wanted to clear things up in case others want to do TCP/IP based
networking on 386/microport v/dosmerge configured environment....

Hwa Jin Bae
Control Data Corp.     bae@{ati,aftac}.tis.llnl.gov        (Internet)
4234 Hacienda Drive    {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg}!lll-tis!bae    (UUCP)
Pleasanton, CA 94566   hbae@plseca                         (smail)

ron@vsedev.VSE.COM (Ron Flax) (03/05/88)

In article <22011@tis.llnl.gov> bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov () writes:

>Still, I think they could have done better job with socket library calls.

Actually they ARE Berkeley Sockets, they just happen to be 4.1c BSD
Sockets, NOT 4.[23] BSD Sockets as you are familiar with.

--
ron@vsedev.vse.com	(Ron Flax)
uucp:	..!uunet!vsedev!ron

bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov (Hwa Jin Bae) (03/05/88)

In article <1083@vsedev.VSE.COM> ron@vsedev.VSE.COM (Ron Flax) writes:
>In article <22011@tis.llnl.gov> bae@ati.tis.llnl.gov () writes:
>>
>>Still, I think they could have done better job with socket library calls.
>>
>Actually they ARE Berkeley Sockets, they just happen to be 4.1c BSD
>Sockets, NOT 4.[23] BSD Sockets as you are familiar with.

Yeah, I understand that.  But they advertise that their sockets are
4.2[3] BSD compatible!!!  I have also been told so by the sale people
before I purchased it.  I wouldn't mind if they made it clear that
their software will require modifications of most of 4.2 based
networking codes like SUN's RPC, X server IPC part, sendmail, etc.

I'm simply saying that if they charge so much $$$, they could have
done a better job.  and if they chose not to do so, they should
inform the customers of such fact before purchase.