[comp.unix.microport] Is there a "dialinfo" that supports extended result codes?

karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/01/88)

(...sorry if this has been discussed recently, we missed the control message
that made the group unmoderated so we haven't seen much Microport stuff)

Has somebody modified the dialinfo file in /usr/lib/uucp to accept the
extended result codes many of the Hayes-compatible modems such as "BUSY"
and "NO DIAL TONE"?  The advantage of using the BUSY string is that
the modem returns it as soon it detects the busy signal.  Under the
current arrangement, uucp has to wait for the modem to time out
(thirty or so seconds) and send "NO CARRIER."

The dialinfo file in the 2.3 release has a comment refering to documentation:
dialer.1, dialprint.1, dial.2 and dialinfo.2.  These didn't come with the
system.  Anyone have them?  Microport?

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (03/02/88)

From article <1504@sugar.UUCP>, by karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer):
> Has somebody modified the dialinfo file in /usr/lib/uucp to accept the
> extended result codes many of the Hayes-compatible modems such as "BUSY"
> and "NO DIAL TONE"?  The advantage of using the BUSY string is that

Yep - and it wasn't easy without those @#$%^&*( documents, either!

Here's my generic hays-compatible entry.  works fairly well,
though I don't doubt that someone with documentation (or source)
could tune it up a bit.  Note that my modems are silent by
default because they are both bidirectional.

Now, has anyone figured out how to have different dialer
scripts for different hosts on the same line?  I'd like to
be able to use the more powerful dialinfo language to drive
PCP calls but i can't figure a way without dedicating a line
to the job.

#	Hayes modem dialer.
#		Steve Nuchia, steve@nuchat

hayes,
	star=*, pound=#, flash=H0\,H1,
	delay=\,, wait=\,, retry=20,
	s0=P1 M"AT\r" [foobar]4 [OK]1 S2 T1,
	s1=M"ATV1Q0S7=20\r" [OK]2 S2 T4,
	s2=M"ATDT%N\r" [CONNECT]10 [NO CARRIER]3 [BUSY]5 S60 T3,
	s3=E"no answer ..." D1 R3 G-,
	s4=E"no modem response ..." D1 R10 G1,
	s5=E"line busy" D1 R3 G-,
	s10=C1 G+,

--
Steve Nuchia	    | [...] but the machine would probably be allowed no mercy.
uunet!nuchat!steve  | In other words then, if a machine is expected to be

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (03/07/88)

In article <713@nuchat.UUCP>, steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:
> From article <1504@sugar.UUCP>, by karl@sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer):
> > Has somebody modified the dialinfo file in /usr/lib/uucp to accept the

I have uPort '386 and i don't have this file..  It obviously is some sort of
terminfo-style data base for dialers, but is it supposed to be standard?
Should i have it or is it part of an enhancement that isn't standard??

derek