[comp.unix.microport] need to raise ulimit

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (03/03/88)

Unix:	Microport V/AT 2.3 (runtime+programming+text)
System: Sperry IT (AT clone) 8 Mhz w/ 80287
	2 Mb memory
	Seagate 4053 / WD controller
	Sperry's High Res Display (not for long)
	Sperry bios ver. 1.52 (note: not 1.57)

I have the two following problems, and am looking for some  advice:

1)	I have recently downloaded some LARGE (~3.5Mb )
	compressed sources ( Gnuemacs, for one ) and need
	to be able to raise my ulimit to uncompress and cpio
	these sources out.  Am I ignoring some simple procedure?
	Is there an easy way to do this? Do I need a ulimit++
	source of some sort?

2)	I was compiling the source to the Korn Shell the
	other night ( large model, no optimizing :-(
	I finally got all the modules compiled and linked,
	but when I type 'ksh' the system procedes to dump
	core big time, and the shell never executes.
	The executable is about 120 kb after linking,
	with no stripping.  Anyone had similar experiences?
	Is it the kernal? compiler? linker? Am steeling myself
	for sbd-ing soon (AACCKKTH!)

Finally, thanx to all for the help with compress.  I have received
the sources for the 16-bit version.  It does a much better job than
12-bits :-)

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr

jmb@patton.SGI.COM (Jim Barton) (03/08/88)

In article <22686@clyde.ATT.COM>, wtr@moss.ATT.COM writes:

> 2)	I was compiling the source to the Korn Shell the
> 	other night ( large model, no optimizing :-(
> 	I finally got all the modules compiled and linked,
> 	but when I type 'ksh' the system procedes to dump
> 	core big time, and the shell never executes.
> 	The executable is about 120 kb after linking,
> 	with no stripping.  Anyone had similar experiences?
> 	Is it the kernal? compiler? linker? Am steeling myself
> 	for sbd-ing soon (AACCKKTH!)

> Bill Rankin
> Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
> (201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)
>
> email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
> 			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr

The K-shell is written to assume that the size of an integer is the same
size as a pointer.  In the 286 large model, an integer is 16 bits, and
a pointer 32.  There is no workaround, this is just plain bad coding
practice.

Best bet is to compile ksh small model with everything but your favorite edit
mode turned off (e.g., -DVSH or -DESH) and make sure to optimize it.  It will
then fit (just barely) in the small model, where the size of an integer
really is the same as the size of a pointer.

So much for portable code.

-- Jim Barton
From the UNIX asylum at SiliconGraphics, Inc.
jmb@sgi.sgi.com,  sgi!jmb@decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb