[comp.unix.microport] Microport '386 Unix

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (02/20/88)

> > [ ... description of Club '386 machine ]
> > Note: this machine will not run '286 Unix (anyone know why?).
> Two thoughts: is this the Everex 20MHz motherboard or the second 16MHz rev.
> (I don't think they produce the first rev. any more).

I'm not sure which rev it is.  It's the 3000A and runs at 16 mhz.

> I take it you have more faith in Bell's 386 compiler than uPorts?  I haven't
> tried out uPort's that much: did you have many troubles with it?

Actually, getting Bell's system was just cheaper.  As some point I believe
that uport will offer a faster compiler and it may then be worth the extra
cost.

> > The fuser command doesn't seem to work.
>
> Ug.  This is a real problem.  I *need* it to prevent uucico from going wild
> and continuing PC Pursuit transfers into the morning hours...  I'll have to
> write a program or script to directly read the lock files I guess.

I did something similar - since the pid is stored in the lock file, you
can just use "kill `cat $lckfile`".

> > The lp driver seems unable to
> > print very long strings without a newline now and then (although this
> > might be caused by Merge).
>
> This is a stupid idea, but could the extra newlines be related to the line
> width stuff in the lp driver?  I don't have my manuals in front of me, but did
> you set the line width to zero (or some special value) to disable newline
> generation?

I was using /dev/lp directly.  Is there an ioctl that will fix this?  My
manuals don't seem to have anything on this.

> > HDB uucp insists on resetting the tty
> > permissions and seems to use a bit more cpu time than it should.
>
> It's probably also a nightmarish security sieve, as is virtually every other
> uucp I've used.  I use a modified old HDB.

I finally "solved" this by making additional nodes (same name, but a
different directory).  It works fine now.

> Do they even include the drive # now?  At one time (286 2.2) they didn't
> include the drive number at all, and when I got a bad block, there was no
> way to tell which drive faulted.

I don't think the drive numbers are in the messages.  There do seem to be a
large number of non repeatable disk errors.  Does anyone else get frequent
disk errors?

> I tried.  I now have a WD1005 on order for delivery Monday.  I also am in
> the process of borrowing the WD1007 from PCs Ltd to try it out, and maybe

I'd be very interested in any information on the WD1007, WD1007/WA2, and
the performance of the WD1006 (ie. is it worth it).

The OMTI-8620 sounds like the way to go if it would only work.

- Jon Zeeff			uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff
  Branch Technology		zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu
  Ann Arbor, MI

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

james@bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) (02/22/88)

In article <4280@b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:

> The OMTI-8620 sounds like the way to go if it would only work.

A quick clarification: the OMTI 8620 definitely does not work with uPort's
SysV/386, and almost certainly not with the 286 SV/AT.  I was told by
uPort something is being done about this, but don't know what their
timetable is.  I suspect problems with both uPort's driver and OMTI's
card: uPort's driver appears to derive the hard disk characteristics
incorrectly (it uses the CMOS drive type instead of the BIOS disk parameter
table) and I'm not sure that the OMTI is entirely register-level compatible
with the WD1003 and other standard AT controllers, due to its behavior under
DOS.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (02/25/88)

From article <4280@b-tech.UUCP>, by zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff):
> I don't think the drive numbers are in the messages.  There do seem to be a
> large number of non repeatable disk errors.  Does anyone else get frequent
> disk errors?

I've been getting them since day one, december 86.   Running my machine
at 6 MHz I was getting them on a single ST4096 so bad that I could only
use half of it.  At 10 MHz, single drive, they went away.  Added a
second drive and they came back.

Sometimes the errors are really soft, some of the time the formatting
of a sector gets screwed up and you get a bad spot there until you
reformat the track.

Needless to say, the microjerks assured me they had never heard
of the problem before, I was the only person who was reporting
it, it was probably real bad spots on the disk that weren't on
the defect list, my controller (all three of them) was at fault.

The best single piece of advice came from a very helpful and
pleasant person at Western Digital who suggested that I might
be overloading my power supply.  Sadly, that was not the case,
but it was a first class guess.

I've got my ST4096 as drive 0 with root, swap, and "files" on
it (in that order) and a ST251 as drive 1 with usr taking up
the whole thing.  My news spool is on /files and normal operations
involve a lot of copying between /usr and /files.  Interresting
thing about it is that 99.9% of my errors land in the /files
filesystem.  I have to shut down at least once a week to fsck
/files, often finding a lot of problems (trashed iblocks - my
favorite!) but /usr and / seldom have anything serious wrong
with them.

I've started getting I/O errors on the swap partitiion lately,
which is a real drag (panic!).  The recentness of this development
correlates with the installation of the ramdisk driver - I never
swapped at all before that.

My best guess is that this is a timing foobar triggered when
switching from one drive to another and could probably be
fixed quite easily - like adding one line to the driver somewhere.
The problem I had before (single drive, 6MHz clock) correlated
with very long seeks and is probably coincidental rather than
related in any strong fasion.
--
Steve Nuchia	    | [...] but the machine would probably be allowed no mercy.
uunet!nuchat!steve  | In other words then, if a machine is expected to be

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (02/28/88)

Hmm, a 4096 and a ST251 are exactly the drives I'm using that causes so many
disk errors with uport unix.  It seems that the disk driver could at least
recal the drive and try again before failing.  The whole thing does make
the system very unreliable.

--

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) (03/01/88)

In article <689@nuchat.UUCP> steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:
|From article <4280@b-tech.UUCP>, by zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff):
>... Talks about sporadic random and non-repeatable disk errors.

Sounds a lot like you're missing terminators on your disk drives.

Make absolutely certain that only one drive has the terminators installed,
and it's the last in the chain.  Check your drive manuals.  ST506
style drives frequently go nuts in this manner if the terminators are
missing or installed in both drives in a dual-drive system.
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc,
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc, yunexus}!spectrix!clewis

mjy@sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young) (03/02/88)

In article <474@spectrix.UUCP> clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) writes:
>Sounds a lot like you're missing terminators on your disk drives.
>
>Make absolutely certain that only one drive has the terminators installed,
>and it's the last in the chain.  Check your drive manuals.  ST506
>style drives frequently go nuts in this manner if the terminators are
>missing or installed in both drives in a dual-drive system.

My terminators are installed correctly and I still have the problem.  This
is a known bug in the wn driver when used with dual drive systems, and uport
is aware of it.  I corresponded with Dwight Leu at length about it.  Their
strategy is to try porting the 386 driver back to the 286, since 386 systems
don't seem to exhibit the problem.  Unfortunately, at last check they were
still having difficulty recreating the errors on their in-house systems.  I
suggest that anyone who has the dual-drive errors contact uport and offer
yourselves as a beta-site for the new driver when/if it is available.  I
did, but I haven't heard anything back from them as yet.
--
Mike Young - Software Development Technologies, Inc., Sudbury MA 01776
UUCP     : {decvax,harvard,linus,mit-eddie}!necntc!necis!mrst!sdti!mjy

jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) (03/11/88)

In article <211@sdti.UUCP> mjy@sdti.UUCP (0000-Michael J. Young) writes:
>This
>is a known bug in the wn driver when used with dual drive systems, and uport
>is aware of it.  I corresponded with Dwight Leu at length about it.  Their
>strategy is to try porting the 386 driver back to the 286, since 386 systems
>don't seem to exhibit the problem.  Unfortunately, at last check they were
>still having difficulty recreating the errors on their in-house systems.  I
>suggest that anyone who has the dual-drive errors contact uport and offer
>yourselves as a beta-site for the new driver when/if it is available.  I
>did, but I haven't heard anything back from them as yet.

This is a very good suggestion.  We have not as yet been able to reproduce
the problems in house, but a local site has the problem and we have been
testing a new version of the driver with him.  It is not quite ready for
beta test yet, but I will post notification on the BBS when a decent
version is available (probably here on the net too).  Please note that
this problem is extremely hardware dependent.  We have been loaned the
controller and second drive which reproduce this problem at the local site and
have installed them in testbed machines here but were unable to reproduce
the problem.