[comp.unix.microport] C-Kermit

rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) (03/20/88)

The Kermit that comes with Microport System V/AT has no printed
documentation, and very skimpy online help.  After a fair amount of
trial and error, I've got it working, but haven't been able to figure
out how to get back to command mode after receiving a file in server
mode (as from the Microport BBS).  For that matter, I've been unable
to terminate a session gracefully after a file transfer, and have to
resort to quitting or killing it from root. That leads to the /dev/tty
line being left with wierd ownerships and permissions, leading to
further aggravation.

Can anyone help?

--
UUCP:  {uunet}!w3vh!rolfe		| Rolfe Tessem
ARPA:  w3vh!rolfe@uunet.UU.NET		| P.O. Box 793

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (03/21/88)

To use kermit with the other end in server mode, you operate as
follows:
   kermit
   [whatever dial and connect things you need to make the connection.
    In my case I just do "c" and then type commands directly to the
    modem.  You'll need at least a command to tell it what line to
    use, e.g. "set line /dev/tty0" and speed setting, e.g. "set speed 2400"]
   [now talking to the other end]
   kermit
   server
   ^]c
   [now talking to your kermit]
   "get" and "send" commands as appropriate
   fin
   [now talking to the other end's kermit]
   quit [from other end's kermit]
   [now talking to other end's shell]
   logout
   ^]c
   quit

I think the command you were missing is "fin", which tells the other
end to exit from server mode.

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/22/88)

In article <321@w3vh.UUCP> rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) writes:
[ some deleted ]
>For that matter, I've been unable
>to terminate a session gracefully after a file transfer, and have to
>resort to quitting or killing it from root. That leads to the /dev/tty
>line being left with wierd ownerships and permissions, leading to
>further aggravation.

Usually, the regular "Control-\ c" gets me back to the Kermit prompt, and
then "exit" cleans it up.  But I have had the uport distributed kermit
"lockup" inexplicitly sometimes too.  Although you don't actually have to
be "root" to kill it, just login as the owner of the kermit process; but
you still have to manually clean up the tty line as you mention.

--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what