[comp.unix.microport] Tracking down system panics.

rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) (03/19/88)

I've been plagued by double panics lately on my System V/AT clone-based
system, and I was grateful to see John Plocher's very explicit information
on what to do with the register dump to track down the problem.  My panics
are always occurring during uucp operations, usually when on a polling job
called by cron, rather than during manual dial-up operations.  I have
already installed the new uport serial driver from their BBS, but that has
failed to solve the problem.  The last time it happened (this morning) I
copied down the information, per John's directions, and got the following:

	cs=0x208  ip=0x5f73

Again, following the outlined procedure, I invoked vi on the system5.nm
file that was created when I made a new kernel after installing the
serial driver several weeks ago.  Searching on the pattern 02085f yielded
the following (any only) match: 02085fa2, with a corresponding symbol
description of "asysrintr".

Now, the question is, what do I do with that information to track down
my problem?

--
UUCP:  {uunet}!w3vh!rolfe		| Rolfe Tessem
ARPA:  w3vh!rolfe@uunet.UU.NET		| P.O. Box 793

root@uwspan.UUCP (John Plocher) (03/23/88)

+---- rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) writes in <320@w3vh.UUCP> ----
| I've been plagued by double panics lately on my System V/AT clone
| 	cs=0x208  ip=0x5f73
| "asysrintr".
|
| Now, the question is, what do I do with that information to track down
| my problem?
| --
| UUCP:  {uunet}!w3vh!rolfe		| Rolfe Tessem
| IP ADDRESS: 44.44.0.1			| (413) 528-5966
+----

I called Microport tech sup and reported this info - Ali said he would
relay the info to Dwight and that if they needed any more info that they
would call you.  In general, if you get a panic, find out the routine name
(and the file name it is found in - it is in the system5.nm file, too)
and call microport tech support (1 800 722-8649) and tell them about it.
You will need your machine configuration (ram, boards, speed...) handy.

 -John

--
Comp.Unix.Microport is now unmoderated!  Use at your own risk :-)

ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP (Roger Egeberg) (03/23/88)

In article <320@w3vh.UUCP> rolfe@w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) writes:
>I've been plagued by double panics lately on my System V/AT clone-based
>system, and I was grateful to see John Plocher's very explicit information
>on what to do with the register dump to track down the problem.  My panics

I also followed the instructions given a few days ago.  My last two crashes
both happened in 'clkint1'.  Does anybody know what this routine does?  My
crashes don't appear to be related to serial communications - I'm using
Bell Technologies' HUB6 card with their drivers.

I should also say that the micro is a Bell Tech MPE (Tatung AT-clone) running
at 8 MHz, with 4 Meg RAM, a 72 Meg hard disk, and the previously mentioned
HUB6 card.

--
Roger Egeberg                 USENET:    ncegeber@ndsuvax.UUCP
NDSU Extension Service        BITNET:    nu062423@ndsuvm1.BITNET